Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Icons missing in Gnome Tray

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
evandenbroecke

Re: Icons missing in Gnome Tray

#16 Post by evandenbroecke »

Yeah, that's why I am thinking its the theme css file that's doing it. Cause if the icon theme is messing it up it would be all the icons. The message tray however has it's own style settings in the css file, telling how to display the icons, there size, the background color, text color, etc etc. It sound more to me like there is syntax error somewhere about there and the message tray is just getting its style setings a bit messed up. I've had similar issues these past few weeks working on my own shell and gtk3 theme for gnome.
Todd Vandenbroecke
evandenbroecke[at]gmail.com

evandenbroecke

#17 Post by evandenbroecke »

nickmdowson wrote: Do you know if a full restart is needed after making changes to themes / css files?

Sorry missed this question, but I am sure you figured out by now, no you just need to cycle your themes in the "gnome-tweak-tool" to see changes... its how I live edit my theme right now... Knowing what to edit is the hard part though... there are many different style levels of the message tray, some control the buttons, some the text beside the buttons or within and some the whole message tray itself....

You can always look at other example from another theme, either on your own system or on gnome-look.org
Todd Vandenbroecke
evandenbroecke[at]gmail.com

nickmdowson

#18 Post by nickmdowson »

thanks!

nickmdowson

#19 Post by nickmdowson »

installing the gnome desktop option using tasksel seemed to fix this, after the update to stretch...

took a while!

Wheelerof4te

#20 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Thanks you for necroing an over a year old thred! /s
For you info, vanilla GNOME has got rid of "legacy" system tray, so you'll need third-party extesions for it when you upgrade to Buster. Oh, and desktop icons, you'll need an extension for that, too.