Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Session is closed when closing VLC media

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
toctoc33

Session is closed when closing VLC media

#1 Post by toctoc33 »

Every time I play a video using VLC when I close the player the session ends and I get to the session login screen! I loose all the non saved works.

I have a Lenovo G50 i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70GHz - 4Gb RAM running on Debian, so I guess it shouldn't be a problem with RAM.

What could it be? Anyone else with the same problem?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Session is closed when closing VLC media

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Which version of Debian are you using?

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy
Which desktop environment are you using?

Is there anything in the logs?
deadbang

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

i can think of 2 explanations:

1) VLC crashes the Xorg session when closing (unlikely)
2) you are starting Xorg without a window manager, and the relevant command in your login manager or .xinitrc is "exec vlc" (equally unlikely, come to think of it)

evandenbroecke

#4 Post by evandenbroecke »

Listing anything that you have done already might help... Nobody likes holding hands and having to teach people how to find out answers to there question. You have to remember, your the one sitting in front of the computer, not us! So any information can help us immensely!

Have you tried resetting your VLC configuration to default settings in your prefs? It sounds like, to me, that VLC is doing something once it finishes playing a video and therefore is told to logout of the session. Perhaps you were playing with the settings and set something there?.

If that fails, have you also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling VLC? Is the problem is all videos or just certain types? Does the same results happen if you open an audio file?

These are all questions your expected to know already and have done. Please read the "Please read me before posting" and "what we already expect you have done" post at the top of this and any thread.

Again, the more information you can provide the better others can help you.

Thanks.
Todd Vandenbroecke
evandenbroecke[at]gmail.com

Segfault

#5 Post by Segfault »

wizard10000 wrote:
debiman wrote:1) VLC crashes the Xorg session when closing (unlikely)
I think this is very likely :)
++

You may try and choose different video outputs in VLC as workaround.