Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install LibreOffice from experimental?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
shmerl

How to install LibreOffice from experimental?

#1 Post by shmerl »

Currently, experimental has LO 5.3.0. I enabled the repo in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/experimental.list

Code: Select all

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
However installing it from there fails in Debian testing (x86_64):

sudo apt-get install libreoffice/experimental

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Selected version '1:5.3.0-1' (Debian:experimental [amd64]) for 'libreoffice'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libreoffice : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:5.3.0-1) but 1:5.2.5-1 is to be installed
               Depends: libreoffice-java-common (>= 1:5.3.0~) but 1:5.2.5-1 is to be installed
               Recommends: libreoffice-nlpsolver but it is not going to be installed
               Recommends: libreoffice-report-builder but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Digging through dependencies, I found this:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libreoffice-common : Depends: libreoffice-style-default or
                               libreoffice-style
                      Recommends: python3-uno (>= 4.4.0~beta2) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
There are no libreoffice-style-default or libreoffice-style packages for 5.3.0 (in experimental). Any idea how to properly install it, or it's not possible from the repo at present?

mor

Re: How to install LibreOffice from experimental?

#2 Post by mor »

Try using aptitude, they say its dependency resolving skills are more efficient than apt-get.

I have tried and the solution offered was viable, although it was leaving one (a recommend) dependency unresolved.
I also have to mention that I have a mixed system with all repos enabled and some packages where going to be taken from Unstable and some other downgraded to Stable, so your mileage may vary as it might be more complicated on a simple Testing setup with only the Experimental line added.

Remember that Experimental is not a complete branch and its packages are in no way supposed to work on a Testing system.

Just out of curiosity, is it really worth the trouble to get 5.3 over 5.2?

Anyway, if you're gonna mix branches you might want to read this:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=15612

Bye ;)

aplistir

#3 Post by aplistir »

How about finding an appimage or flatpack of that version of libreoffice.

With those you could install new libreoffice without messing your debian install.

I do not know if 5.3 is available in these formats yet, but some previous versions have been made available.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/libreoff ... 4773.shtml

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

mor wrote:Just out of curiosity, is it really worth the trouble to get 5.3 over 5.2?
I was wondering the same thing. According to The Document Foundation Blog 5.3 has some experimental features and "the more mature 5.2.5 version" is still being maintained. Translation, if you value reliability stick with 5.2.5.

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

FWIW they also distribute a deb package of it on their site. But I'm fairly sure that 5.3 will move to unstable soon. In my experience there have been small bugs and problems after major versions previously and if you want to avoid them you want to wait a few point releases anyway.

shmerl

#6 Post by shmerl »

mor wrote:Just out of curiosity, is it really worth the trouble to get 5.3 over 5.2?
A major annoyance for me is lack of proper icons for dark themes, (like breeze-dark in KDE). It looks like this:

Supposedly this is (partially) fixed in 5.3.

shmerl

#7 Post by shmerl »

For now I just manually copied icons from libreoffice-style-breeze_5.3.0-1_all.deb from experimental, and it works. Though even such white icons become a problem with gradient color is used in the UI. I.e. it's either white on white on the right side, or dark on dark on the left side if the regular breeze set it used. It's still better than before, especially in the menus which are uniformly dark.

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

aplistir wrote:How about finding an appimage or flatpack of that version of libreoffice.

With those you could install new libreoffice without messing your debian install.

I do not know if 5.3 is available in these formats yet, but some previous versions have been made available.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/libreoff ... 4773.shtml
this!, if its for experimental i would go for flatpack versions, i tested it works perfect and you dont have to mess the system
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...