Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE crashes on login after suspend

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
mwagner

KDE crashes on login after suspend

#1 Post by mwagner »

Hi @all,

After resuming from suspend-to-disk, I can log in using the KSM log in window. But immediately after clicking on the login button, I get an error message saying "Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.", KDE starts a new session with the error message still open. When clicking OK, it sometimes restarts KDE or just hangs with the last screen content. Once it did display further informatin (segmentation fault), but I was not able to save the details.
This only happens after suspend-to-disk, normal boot works fine.

Do you have some advice on how to find the cause for that error?

I've tried installing lightdm, this does not get the error, but suspend also does not work :(

Installation details
- new install of debian 9
- KDE5
- all updates installed
- nvidia 340 proprietary legacy driver (as the open source one did not work properly :( ) (I mention this as this :twisted: thing always makes problems)

ps: how do I upload files to the forum server? when I try to attach something, it just says that exceeded my quota

GarryRicketson

Re: KDE crashes on login after suspend

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

ps: how do I upload files to the forum server?
You don't upload files to this forum.
Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes

mwagner

#3 Post by mwagner »

The error disappears when I disable automatic screen lock after timeout (red). Disabling screen lock after suspend has no effect (green)

This is OK as a workaround, but I would prefer my screen locking after some time...

mwagner

#4 Post by mwagner »

In some mysterious way the third or fourth change between the nvidia open source and proprietary driver fixed this. Now works with the open source one...