Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Decent Fontface recommendations

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
DebbyIan

Decent Fontface recommendations

#1 Post by DebbyIan »

I'm looking for some font face recommendations. These are the criteria to fulfill my requirements:

- Sharp and well hinted (almost bitmap like)
- Compact and condensed
- Virtually zero padding around chars
- Preferably family (Sans, Serif and Mono).

I am currently using Roboto which fits these requirements almost perfectly. Same goes for the Ubuntu typeface. I would still like a sharper font if possible. Please exclude Verdana, Segoe or Tahoma for obvious reasons.

DajaVu/Vera are a little too wide. Geneva is a great looking font except it has huge padding. Droid and Clear Sans also have unnecessary padding which I would like to avoid. Menlo OTOH is a stunning mono font.

So anything else people can recommend to accompany these in Sans or some other family?

DebbyIan

Re: Decent Fontface recommendations

#2 Post by DebbyIan »

Back to Terminus as Mono fixed font. Xft sucks.

Let me put it another way. Any recommendations of a bitmap Sans font suitable for UI? There's an absolute heap of amateur ones to choose from. But which one?

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

DebbyIan wrote:Back to Terminus as Mono fixed font. Xft sucks.

Let me put it another way. Any recommendations of a bitmap Sans font suitable for UI? There's an absolute heap of amateur ones to choose from. But which one?
Im using Segoe UI's fonts with infinallity in Stretch+KDE5, i tried all fonts around and im alway back to Segoe UI, If there were something better i would use it..
Im using size 10 for "general" and 96ppp, it looks almost the same than at windows.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

Any recommendations of a bitmap Sans font suitable for UI?
not sure what your fetish with professional fonts is, but:
adobe professional enough?

DebbyIan

#5 Post by DebbyIan »

Blurry (AA) and added to that the colour fringing which occurs with TTF/OTF gives me grief.
TTFs were designed for the application of matching screen typefaces to hardcopy print output. However seeing that PS existed in the first place and MS's habit of flouting every standard available, coupled with reinventing the wheel time and again (albeit badly) what we now have is an industry hellbent on displaying blurry screen faces. The only reasonable font interface for a VDU is a bitmap font.

For those purporting Segoe, there are a handful of really excellent and well hinted OS fonts which already exist. And are better than Segoe IMV. Luxi, Lucida, Ubuntu and even Verdana spring to mind. But still the side-effects of using any scalable font are that they are incredibly blurry. You may or may not realise it but they are.