Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Openbox menu borders not reliably showing

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
No_windows

Openbox menu borders not reliably showing

#1 Post by No_windows »

I've recently installed Openbox on my 7.11 VM. I had been using Xfce. The borders on the menu are not behaving correctly. I don't believe it's an issue with a broken theme, as I'm using the themes from the Openbox package and the theme package in the wheezy repos, not something I've downloaded from someplace.

The behavior is kind of hard to describe. If I right click, at first there is no border around the menu at all, but then as I scroll the border will start showing up around the main menu, and the various sub-menus. However, there is almost always multiple sides missing, and often part of a side missing, on each menu.

I copied the menu.xml over from my Jessie install, but reverting back to the default doesn't change anything. Changing themes does nothing to improve the situation. In addition, I suspect that many of the themes are not placing the sub-menus in the correct place, as they partially cover the arrows in the main menu indicating a sub-menu. I have not changed anything else.

Any idea what's going on?

Bulkley

Re: Openbox menu borders not reliably showing

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Off hand, I'd say that your 7.11 VM isn't rendering properly. When I searched Debian repositories I couldn't find it. What is it, where did you get it and how did you install it?

No_windows

#3 Post by No_windows »

Bulkley wrote:Off hand, I'd say that your 7.11 VM isn't rendering properly. When I searched Debian repositories I couldn't find it. What is it, where did you get it and how did you install it?
You couldn't find what?

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

No_windows wrote:You couldn't find what?
7.11 VM.

No_windows

#5 Post by No_windows »

Bulkley wrote:
No_windows wrote:You couldn't find what?
7.11 VM.
Debian 7.11 Wheezy.......it's a virtual machine, on Virtualbox, on a Jessie host.

I think I may have figured out the problem. As I was perusing the upgrade history in Synaptic I realized that since I last did much with it, I had upgraded Virtualbox to the latest version from Oracle. The VM hasn't been upgraded to the appropriate Guest Additions, so I'm doing that now.

No_windows

#6 Post by No_windows »

Well, that didn't work. There is no change with the current Guest Additions.

Bulkley

#7 Post by Bulkley »

Debian 7.11 Wheezy.......it's a virtual machine, on Virtualbox, on a Jessie host.
:lol: When I searched I was getting hits for some sort of Windows application which is why I wondered where you got it.

When I run into the unexplained I go into my user hidden directory and rename what I think are appropriate ~/. configuration files and restart those applications. It's amazing how often I find that I had done something that created the problem.

Just out of curiosity, you might try to do a second Openbox install on that virtual machine. Use a different name. Don't load much - just enough to see if it has the same problem. You might even try a newer version.

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Disable any compositors.

Perhaps post a screenshot to help describe the problem?

EDIT: what is your hardware?
deadbang

No_windows

#9 Post by No_windows »

Bulkley wrote:
:lol: When I searched I was getting hits for some sort of Windows application which is why I wondered where you got it.
Did you not see my username, "No_windows"? :lol:
When I run into the unexplained I go into my user hidden directory and rename what I think are appropriate ~/. configuration files and restart those applications. It's amazing how often I find that I had done something that created the problem.

Are you speaking of .config?
Just out of curiosity, you might try to do a second Openbox install on that virtual machine. Use a different name. Don't load much - just enough to see if it has the same problem. You might even try a newer version.
How would I do a second installation? I guess that's where my lack of deeper Linux knowledge shows up.

No_windows

#10 Post by No_windows »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Disable any compositors.

Perhaps post a screenshot to help describe the problem?

EDIT: what is your hardware?
I've just tried taking a screen shot and the borders show up fine in my pictures :roll:

I do not have a compositor that I am aware of....... any Xfce compositing would not affect Openbox, correct? Openbox is being run on it's own, not with Xfce outside of packages like Thunar, and Synaptic.

This is an old HP DL380G5 that I'm using as a desktop PC.

I upgraded to the newer Openbox version in Wheezy backports, and the borders now show up, but delayed. In fact, I now notice that all the video is kinda slow. My test is opening a window and then grabbing it with the mouse and continually moving it around the screen. The window, in this case Nitrogen, ends up chasing the mouse, instead of moving with the mouse. I have this happen every so often (in Jessie) when I install one of the firmware files thinking it will make my video work better. I do not have any firmware installed in this Wheezy VM, However.

No_windows

#11 Post by No_windows »

Switching back to Xfce does not seem to have the issue of slow video. An open window stays with the mouse, not follow behind, like with Openbox.

deborah-and-ian

#12 Post by deborah-and-ian »

1. Problem could be related to Openbox being used with the VM video card driver. Probably a bug
2. Xfce is not per se designed to work with Openbox instead of Xfwm. Maybe that might be the problem? This could be checked if you try to replicate the same set up on a physical machine.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

No_windows

#13 Post by No_windows »

deborah-and-ian wrote:1. Problem could be related to Openbox being used with the VM video card driver. Probably a bug
Openbox is fine in other VMs. I've got a Jessie/Openbox VM, and also Bunsenlabs.
2. Xfce is not per se designed to work with Openbox instead of Xfwm. Maybe that might be the problem? This could be checked if you try to replicate the same set up on a physical machine.
Xfce can use Openbox, but that's not what I'm doing. When I use Openbox, I'm only using Openbox by choosing it in Lightdm.

deborah-and-ian

#14 Post by deborah-and-ian »

No_windows wrote:Xfce can use Openbox, but that's not what I'm doing. When I use Openbox, I'm only using Openbox by choosing it in Lightdm.
Sorry, I misunderstood then.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

debiman

#15 Post by debiman »

it's a harmless virtualisation/graphics issue on a vm with an outdated debian install.

No_windows

#16 Post by No_windows »

debiman wrote:it's a harmless virtualisation/graphics issue on a vm with an outdated debian install.
I disagree. The first thing I noticed was the borders, but the graphics are slow over all. Wheezy is old stable and is still supported.