Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved?]Universal multimedia keys

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
VentGrey

[Solved?]Universal multimedia keys

#1 Post by VentGrey »

I tried using Debian 9 xfce and I encountered a problem using Spotify and Clementine music player, problem is that i cannot control them with my multimedia keys (such as play/pause, rewind) if i configure the Dbus in spotify then clementine throws a

Code: Select all

QxtGlobalShortcut failed to register: "Media Previous" 
error and to fix it i have to delete the dbus order, anyone knows what am I doing wrong or how to configure keys properly?
Last edited by VentGrey on 2017-03-03 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

bw123

Re: Universal multimedia keys

#2 Post by bw123 »

if i configure the Dbus in spotify
A little more info about this dbus config thru spotify might be interesting, also I'm not sure about "Universal multimedia keys" what exactly are they?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

VentGrey

#3 Post by VentGrey »

Just stolen from another wiki:

Code: Select all

# Play/Pause
"dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.PlayPause"
XF86AudioPlay

# Next
"dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Next"
XF86AudioNext

# Previous
"dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Previous"
XF86AudioPrev

# Stop
"dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.Stop"
XF86AudioStop
What I meant by universal is rather simple xD, in Desktop environments like MATE or Cinnamon multimedia keys work out of the box, i can use them for youtube, clementine, spotify, whatever suits my needs, however on xfce this seems impossible (or too complex for me since im not familiar with keyboard configs) :mrgreen:

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

so what is this code snippet?
how are you using it?

please some more explanation, code etc.

it seems to be doing something, since clementine is complaining that it can't use its global (not universal) hotkeys anymore.

also, you can't control TWO applications at the same time with the same global hotkeys, do you understand that?

VentGrey

#5 Post by VentGrey »

you can't control TWO applications at the same time with the same global hotkeys, do you understand that?
I know, i do not have spotify and clementine open at the same time, that would be plain stupid. It just got plain weird that global keys stopped working, I have clementine with default keys and the keysnippets are the same as the code i posted above with the same dbus orders. :shock:

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

i still don't know where you put that code.
if i configure the Dbus in spotify then clementine throws a error
have you tried the other way round?
clementine first?

I'm not so good with dbus, it could be that if you define global hotkeys in spotify, it uses dbus and masks that key even when spotify is not running? that would be poor coding, but possible.

maybe dbus can be set up to check first if spotify is running, and to pass that key through otherwise.

VentGrey

#7 Post by VentGrey »

have you tried the other way round?
clementine first?
Yup and it did not work, at this point what solved the problem was using the Fn + F"x" Key for changing tracks. :?