Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Jessie - how to configure gnome-applets?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Kevin1

Jessie - how to configure gnome-applets?

#1 Post by Kevin1 »

Using Gnome 3.14.1 Classic.
System installed from debian-8.7.1-amd64-DVD-1.iso.
I have installed gnome-applets via synaptic, but cannot discover how to add an applet to the panel. Alt + right-click on the panel has no effect. I have found nothing relevant in dconf or tweak tool.
Thanks for any advice.

phenest

Re: Jessie - how to configure gnome-applets?

#2 Post by phenest »

I believe those applets are for the Gnome Flashback desktop only. If you're using Gnome Shell, they don't work.

If you want to use them, I think you need to install the gnome-session-flashback package and then login in using the Flashback desktop.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Kevin1

#3 Post by Kevin1 »

OK. Thanks for explaining that, phenest.

Kevin1

#4 Post by Kevin1 »

The replacement for gnome-applets in Gnome Shell is Gnome Shell Extensions. See: https://extensions.gnome.org/.

phenest

#5 Post by phenest »

Extensions are not replacements for applets. There are 2 Gnome desktop environments: Shell and Flashback. Extensions are for Gnome Shell and applets are for Gnome Flashback.

Gnome Flashback is similar to the Mate desktop environment or the older Gnome 2.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D