Debian 8.7 to 9 transition and MATE issues [Edited]

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Debian 8.7 to 9 transition and MATE issues [Edited]

Postby prppedro » 2017-03-13 23:16

Good night,

I've been trying to develop an applet for MATE and began studying forms to contribute to the project. Then, much surprised I became when I found MATE version on my system to be 1.8.1! Not surprising for any of you, certainly, as there are several Google entries linking here regarding that matter. I quickly figured out that there's no backport, official or unnoficial. However, is it possible for me to manually compile it? Would those new versions ran into severe dependency problems?

Thanks,
Att.,
trp
Last edited by prppedro on 2017-03-15 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
http://tumblr.tadeu.org (Here for English only texts)

In my experience, there's no such thing as Year of Linux...
User avatar
prppedro
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-03-13 16:09
Location: São Paulo/SP

Re: Compiling MATE against Debian 8.7

Postby stevepusser » 2017-03-14 01:40

There is my unofficial backport of MATE 1.16( gtk2 version) for Jessie...however, the last few days, the OBS service is having some kind of bug where it doesn't show the automatically created link for the instructions to add the repo and its key. I think the link to the instructions still works, and is in a thread here about MATE 1.14.

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... :MATE-1.16

http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... ebian_8.0/

I have the repo address URL here for sources.list, but you'll get a warning without the key.
Code: Select all
deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser:/MATE-1.16/Debian_8.0/ /


Edit: I found the directions: https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... nvironment

The commands to add the key must also be run as root, not with sudo.

There's currently a known issue with a file conflict with some Jessie atril library if you upgrade from the Jessie MATE, but uninstalling the older file fixes it. I think I have it fixed in my MX build, and will load it into the OBS. Check this link to see when the new version has a successful build: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... 1.16/atril

It's built against gtk2 as much as possible because of some known issues with GTK 3 themes on Jessie's version of GTK3.

Coincidentally, some people expressed an interest in doing an unofficial MATE respin of the Jessie-based MX Linux, so I'm currently porting the packages over to the MX-15 test repository (which also feeds MX 16). I've done most of the work on it, but will have to finish up tomorrow.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.6, Pale Moon 27.3.0, Liquorix kernel 4.11-9, mpv 0.25.0, Kodi 17.3, Ksnip 1.3.1, Mesa 13.0.6
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8339
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: Compiling MATE against Debian 8.7

Postby prppedro » 2017-03-14 02:04

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I'm removing atril and will be trying it soon.

But I have a sole question, for now: the actual 1.8.1 runs over GTK 2 or 3? Will it jeopardize GTK3 native apps in, let's say, the same way KDE apps get messed when they run outside QT environment?

Thanks,
Att.,
trp

P.S.: I'll be reporting my progress soon.
http://tumblr.tadeu.org (Here for English only texts)

In my experience, there's no such thing as Year of Linux...
User avatar
prppedro
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-03-13 16:09
Location: São Paulo/SP

Re: Compiling MATE against Debian 8.7

Postby stevepusser » 2017-03-14 02:27

No, they just will possibly use different themes. They won't be broken--just maybe look different. I suppose a perfectionist will try to get matching gtk2 and 3 themes that look the same--I've been told that a backported arc-theme looks good in the backported MATE. I could add that to the repo tomorrow.

Here's the 1.14 thread that evolved to 1.16: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=129551&hilit=mate+1.14
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.6, Pale Moon 27.3.0, Liquorix kernel 4.11-9, mpv 0.25.0, Kodi 17.3, Ksnip 1.3.1, Mesa 13.0.6
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8339
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: Compiling MATE against Debian 8.7

Postby prppedro » 2017-03-14 02:34

stevepusser wrote:No, they just will possibly use different themes. They won't be broken--just maybe look different. I suppose a perfectionist will try to get matching gtk2 and 3 themes that look the same--I've been told that a backported arc-theme looks good in the backported MATE. I could add that to the repo tomorrow.

Here's the 1.14 thread that evolved to 1.16: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=129551&hilit=mate+1.14


Well, thanks... The themes are indeed a bit... different. But I understand the limitation on having to work with GTK 3.14... Hopefully Debian 9 will be here soon and we could get more up to date libraries.

Atril seems to work flawlessly.

As for the rest, only time will tell. Until now, there's only a problem with "mate-power-manager" as reported by Inhibit applet.
http://tumblr.tadeu.org (Here for English only texts)

In my experience, there's no such thing as Year of Linux...
User avatar
prppedro
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-03-13 16:09
Location: São Paulo/SP

Re: Compiling MATE against Debian 8.7

Postby stevepusser » 2017-03-14 03:04

prppedro wrote:
stevepusser wrote:No, they just will possibly use different themes. They won't be broken--just maybe look different. I suppose a perfectionist will try to get matching gtk2 and 3 themes that look the same--I've been told that a backported arc-theme looks good in the backported MATE. I could add that to the repo tomorrow.

Here's the 1.14 thread that evolved to 1.16: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=129551&hilit=mate+1.14


Well, thanks... The themes are indeed a bit... different. But I understand the limitation on having to work with GTK 3.14... Hopefully Debian 9 will be here soon and we could get more up to date libraries.

Atril seems to work flawlessly.

As for the rest, only time will tell. Until now, there's only a problem with "mate-power-manager" as reported by Inhibit applet.


I had build failures with the 4.9 kernel on my local machine with mate-power-manager until I switched back to a 4.7 kernel. Apparently it's building against some cpufreq headers somehow related to the kernel version, and that makes me wonder if it will work if it's a different kernel than it was compiled against. The OBS builds use the 3.16 Jessie kernel.

You could of course try developing your applets in a Stretch virtual machine if your computer has the requirements...that might be best if you want to match the upstream version that's going to be in Debian 9 exactly.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.6, Pale Moon 27.3.0, Liquorix kernel 4.11-9, mpv 0.25.0, Kodi 17.3, Ksnip 1.3.1, Mesa 13.0.6
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8339
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: Compiling MATE against Debian 8.7

Postby aplistir » 2017-03-14 10:25

Ööööh..

How about the most obvious solution...

Upgrade your Jessie system to Stretch. Stretch has Mate 1.16.1

Yeah. I know that using stable is recommended, but Stretch is becoming stable soon. It has already been frozen, which means that big transitions, which can break things are not happening anymore.
Also noticed that some annoying bugs Mate had in Jessie has been corrected in Stretch.

You are doing much more work currently in trying to compile Mate, and installing kernel and stuff from backports. Upgrading is simpler.

OR you could run stretch in virtualbox. Then you would have a development environment with newer Mate
aplistir
 
Posts: 126
Joined: 2014-03-26 22:11

Re: Compiling MATE against Debian 8.7

Postby prppedro » 2017-03-14 10:42

stevepusser wrote:I had build failures with the 4.9 kernel on my local machine with mate-power-manager until I switched back to a 4.7 kernel. Apparently it's building against some cpufreq headers somehow related to the kernel version, and that makes me wonder if it will work if it's a different kernel than it was compiled against. The OBS builds use the 3.16 Jessie kernel.

You could of course try developing your applets in a Stretch virtual machine if your computer has the requirements...that might be best if you want to match the upstream version that's going to be in Debian 9 exactly.


Well, I'm using 3.16 too:
Code: Select all
prppedro@arrandale:~$ uname -a
Linux arrandale 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.39-1+deb8u2 (2017-03-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux
prppedro@arrandale:~$


And the power manager seems to work for the most part, excet for the inhibit button.

But may be it's time to migrate to the new release...

aplistir wrote:Ööööh..

How about the most obvious solution...

Upgrade your Jessie system to Stretch. Stretch has Mate 1.16.1

Yeah. I know that using stable is recommended, but Stretch is becoming stable soon. It has already been frozen, which means that big transitions, which can break things are not happening anymore.
Also noticed that some annoying bugs Mate had in Jessie has been corrected in Stretch.

You are doing much more work currently in trying to compile Mate, and installing kernel and stuff from backports. Upgrading is simpler.

OR you could run stretch in virtualbox. Then you would have a development environment with newer Mate


My doubt is: with those new MATE GTK2 packages installed from Steve's repository, how should I proceed? If I had MATE 1.8.1 yet, it'd be a simple matter of changing "jessie" to "stretch" in every sources.list entry. But won't my current MATE version conflict with those new packages?
http://tumblr.tadeu.org (Here for English only texts)

In my experience, there's no such thing as Year of Linux...
User avatar
prppedro
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-03-13 16:09
Location: São Paulo/SP

Re: Compiling MATE against Debian 8.7

Postby stevepusser » 2017-03-14 14:02

The Stretch versions of the packages should be higher than my backports, because of versioning conventions I used, so upgrades shouldn't be a problem.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.6, Pale Moon 27.3.0, Liquorix kernel 4.11-9, mpv 0.25.0, Kodi 17.3, Ksnip 1.3.1, Mesa 13.0.6
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8339
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: Compiling MATE against Debian 8.7

Postby prppedro » 2017-03-15 14:46

Well, so I upgraded.

Code: Select all
$ cat /etc/debian_version
9.0


Now, there's a bunch of problems, but the first I noticed is odds with GTK 3 themes (seems like MATE is finally using GTK 3), but some Window themes like "Fog" is missing and many, many controls themes like Murina variations, Redmond et alii became all aliases to some kind of default theme:
Image

I suspect that it sets the actual theme for GTK 2 apps, but may be there's no compatible theme for GTK 3, so they falls back to "Adwaita" theme. And seems like many GTK 3 themes won't work as well (I tested it). What's happening?

Edit: and, contrary to MATE 1.8.1, I can't edit color properties.
http://tumblr.tadeu.org (Here for English only texts)

In my experience, there's no such thing as Year of Linux...
User avatar
prppedro
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-03-13 16:09
Location: São Paulo/SP

Re: Debian 8.7 to 9 transition and MATE issues [Edited]

Postby stevepusser » 2017-03-15 17:39

Can you create a new user account and see if the same issues appear for that user? I'm starting to get a theory that the mate settings are stored in some gconf file(s) in your home and those stayed the same during the upgrade, and the gtk2 settings are somehow messing with the gtk3 theming. The arc-theme seems to work well with both versions, as far as I can tell.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.6, Pale Moon 27.3.0, Liquorix kernel 4.11-9, mpv 0.25.0, Kodi 17.3, Ksnip 1.3.1, Mesa 13.0.6
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8339
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: Debian 8.7 to 9 transition and MATE issues [Edited]

Postby PhilGil » 2017-03-15 18:42

stevepusser wrote:Can you create a new user account and see if the same issues appear for that user? I'm starting to get a theory that the mate settings are stored in some gconf file(s) in your home and those stayed the same during the upgrade, and the gtk2 settings are somehow messing with the gtk3 theming. The arc-theme seems to work well with both versions, as far as I can tell.


Didn't GTK 3.20 break backward compatibility with older GTK 3 themes? When I ran MATE/Stretch a few months ago I needed to use a GTK 3.20+ compatible theme. That could be causing some of the OP's theme problems.
PhilGil
 
Posts: 369
Joined: 2010-05-08 16:43

Re: Debian 8.7 to 9 transition and MATE issues [Edited]

Postby stevepusser » 2017-03-15 19:16

That what I was hearing, so when I did the backport of 1.16 to Jessie's GTK 3 3.14, I pulled it from a PPA that was taking care to build against GTK 2 as far as possible. Arch Linux actually splits MATE into separate GTK 2 and a GTK 3 versions; Debian policy is to always build against GTK 3 if the build supports it, come what may, damn the torpedos, full steam ahead, etc.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.6, Pale Moon 27.3.0, Liquorix kernel 4.11-9, mpv 0.25.0, Kodi 17.3, Ksnip 1.3.1, Mesa 13.0.6
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8339
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Re: Debian 8.7 to 9 transition and MATE issues [Edited]

Postby prppedro » 2017-03-16 01:23

Well, to be honest, had no time to test it. The transition to Stretch bought problems beyond one's imagination. From video lags to oddities with GDM. But's it's not the topic question. According to my search, it was precisely the GTK 3.20 update to broke older GTK 3 themes. To be honest, I now understand why Jessie had kept 1.8.1 MATE for so long time. It was, like everything I had before the upgrade, so damn stable. For an example: a tried to create the test user as Steve suggest me. But I couldn't login in it: GDM kept boucing back to the account sellection screen.

Nevertheless, thanks for the help. I'll find my way arround through this mess and, being the case, I'll start a new thread.
http://tumblr.tadeu.org (Here for English only texts)

In my experience, there's no such thing as Year of Linux...
User avatar
prppedro
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-03-13 16:09
Location: São Paulo/SP

Re: Debian 8.7 to 9 transition and MATE issues [Edited]

Postby stevepusser » 2017-03-16 01:30

If I was were in your place, and Stable was working just fine, I'd just install the MATE Stretch in a Virtual Box VM. It's actually not very difficult at all, as far as my experience goes.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.6, Pale Moon 27.3.0, Liquorix kernel 4.11-9, mpv 0.25.0, Kodi 17.3, Ksnip 1.3.1, Mesa 13.0.6
User avatar
stevepusser
 
Posts: 8339
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:53

Next

Return to Desktop & Multimedia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

fashionable