Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Gparted - Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
pylkko

Re: [Solved] Gparted - Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

#16 Post by pylkko »

phenest wrote:
pylkko wrote:It means that you need to log out of Wayland session and thus go back to the login in screen and select "Gnome" without wayland and then you can use gparted... but after you have used it, you would need to log out once again and log in again in order to continue using Wayland. Wayland is a more modern display protocol, but some older programs don't work on it.
I have a package installed called xwayland which "provides an X server running on top of wayland". Does that mean I'm running both, sort of? I'm running Gnome on Stretch and gparted works fine, and I'm logged in with the default Gnome session.
You are running the X session. If you log on with Gnome with Wayland then gparted will no longer work. You can always verify this by looking at the output of top. If X is started then you are on X, if xwayland is in the list, you are on Wayland. The few x apps that require privileges will not run on xwayland at all (gparted, synaptic package manager )

pylkko

Re: [Solved] Gparted - Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

#17 Post by pylkko »

pylkko wrote:
phenest wrote:
pylkko wrote:It means that you need to log out of Wayland session and thus go back to the login in screen and select "Gnome" without wayland and then you can use gparted... but after you have used it, you would need to log out once again and log in again in order to continue using Wayland. Wayland is a more modern display protocol, but some older programs don't work on it.
I have a package installed called xwayland which "provides an X server running on top of wayland". Does that mean I'm running both, sort of? I'm running Gnome on Stretch and gparted works fine, and I'm logged in with the default Gnome session.
You are running the X session. If you log on selecting 'Gnome with Wayland', then gparted will no longer work. You can always verify this by looking at the output of top. If X is started then you are on X, if xwayland is in the list, you are on Wayland. The few x apps that require privileges will not run on xwayland at all (gparted, synaptic package manager )