Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

MATE: Screensaver / Power-Management options don't work

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Frotz

MATE: Screensaver / Power-Management options don't work

#1 Post by Frotz »

I've upgraded a notebook to Stretch and use MATE. No matter what the settings in Screensaver or Power-Management, the screen will ALWAYS be locked when the idle timer times out. Closing the notebook's lid will ALWAYS cause the machine to go into suspend mode. Has anyone else noticed this? What's going on?

debiman

Re: MATE: Screensaver / Power-Management options don't work

#2 Post by debiman »

Frotz wrote:I've upgraded a notebook to Stretch and use MATE.
could you expand on this?
does it mean, it was running jessie and you changed your sources and did a dist-upgrade?
was mate installed before or after this?

also, which notebook? have you searched for common issues with power management?

Frotz

#3 Post by Frotz »

I was running Jessie and performed an upgrade according to https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-upgrade- ... -9-stretch. The notebook is a Thinkpad T420. Under Jessie, all power management utilities worked perfectly out of the box. Mate 1.8 was installed prior to this. After the upgrade, the version of Mate installed is 1.16.1.

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

Frotz wrote:I was running Jessie and performed an upgrade according to https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-upgrade- ... -9-stretch.
looks like an ok tutorial, but i think they should have included a disclaimer that this process can have risks etc.

also, you are running a testing version now, and testing is not stable... that's why it's called 'testing'.
you knew that, right?