Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No GUI on boot - systemd problem?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
4Orfeas

No GUI on boot - systemd problem?

#1 Post by 4Orfeas »

For a year now I have used Debian with LXDE and autologin without any problem. But after adding automount.units to systemd I did not get a GUI on boot. In single user (recovery) mode I ran journalctl -xb.
At the end the journal said that the spawned proces at /bin/plymouth could not be executed; the service failed. There is no /bin/plymouth on my system. I googled and read that a common cause of this error is fstab. I checked and excluded fstab as a cause. I started X as root and got a pretty bare GUI (as to be expected). I did “xhost +” and changed to user. Then I had access to most programs, but not the LXDE environment. I decided to reinstall lightdm (which overwrote autologin). I booted again and got the login screen of lightdm. I logged in with my user account, but no LXDE at all, only the Debian background.
My conclusion is that lightdm and X do start, but for some reason no connection is made to the configuration of my user account. What could possibly be the cause of this?
Any help will be very much appreciated.

debiman

Re: No GUI on boot - systemd problem?

#2 Post by debiman »

the cause of this is probably step 1, which you kindly mentioned:
4Orfeas wrote:But after adding automount.units to systemd I did not get a GUI on boot.
now please elaborate what that is and what exactly you did there.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

In addition, the obvious first thing to try is to revert whatever changes you and automount.units made to see if that fixes it. Did you follow a guide in making that change?
MX Linux packager and developer

4Orfeas

#4 Post by 4Orfeas »

Thank you for your quick response.
Yes, it is obvious to revert the additions to systemd. I think have done that.
I started out to make the automount.units and mount.units without fully understanding how to do that. I used a (bad) example.
I have made in [install] section with
WantedBy=multi-user.target and enabled it.
After the boot failure I did several things to revert this.
I disabled the automount.units and mount.units and stopped them.
Then I removed the install section and added in the [Unit] section
After=multi-user.target. I didn't start them again.
I ran systemctl daemon-reload
Systemctl reports that the units are static.
Is this enough to revert or should I have actually removed the unit-files?
My actions te revert did not solve the boot problem.
I am not sure that systemd is the problem, but the boot failure did occur right after the additions to systemd.
I am puzzled.

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

your description is still somewhat scattered and confused.

sounds like
a) you didn't really know what you were doing to start with, maybe followed some tutorial, but skipped or misinterpreted a few steps.
b) tried to undo it, but again not really knowing what you're doing...

which tutorial did you follow, and which functionality were you going to add?

4Orfeas

#6 Post by 4Orfeas »

Would you please answer my question wether I did undo the changes to systemd.
If the answer is yes, then I can rule out that systemd is the cause. I still have
no acces to LXDE with my user account. When I log on authentication is succesful but there is only
the background of the greeter of lightdm.