Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Chromium sound issues

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
coldsteel

Chromium sound issues

#1 Post by coldsteel »

Hello,

I use logitech Z cinema sound speakers and this is my main output for the sound. Every time I try to play videos online on the Chromium browser the sound would not work correctly, I would hear no sound to 'infrequent noises, tiny little beeps and skips'. Now I found out if I use a GUI for PulseAudio (pictured in the screenshot), and go to the 'Configuration' tab, then to the 'Profile' section for Logitech Z, I am able to choose different settings (Off / Analog Stereo Output / Digital Stereo Output). For example I would start a random video on the youtube I would then have to change the Profile settings in this order 'Off > Digital Stereo Output' to recover/make the sound work on the Chromium. However, I would have to repeat this step everytime I would start another video, it seems the Chromium resets the configuration for Logitech Z on every new instance? Any ideas, what I could do? Much appreciated, thank you..

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Chromium sound issues

#2 Post by sunrat »

Try reordering your sound cards to make your preferred one Card 0. This may help - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad ... chitecture
On my system it simply entails a file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf as follows to make my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 as Card 0 :

Code: Select all

options snd slots=snd_ice1712,snd_hda_intel
If you need more help, post the results of

aplay -l
lspci -v |grep -i audio
lsusb -v |grep -i audio
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

coldsteel

#3 Post by coldsteel »

Thank you for your reply! Please advise me how do I set the default output/sink/card0 to usb/Logitech?

aplay -l:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC262 Analog [ALC262 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 2: Cin�ma [Z Cinéma], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
lspci -v |grep -i audio:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]
lsusb -v |grep -i audio:

bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
      AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
      AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
      AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
My system doesn't hold the '/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf', however the '/etc/asound.conf' shows (if its of any relevance):

pcm.pulse {
type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
type pulse
}
pcm.! Default {
type pulse
}
ctl.! Default {
type press
}
The odd thing though is that before I moved to Jessie from Wheezy (installed Jessie on the clean HDD) I hadn't sound issues on Chromium :? the default (notebook) speakers however are working faultlessly on Chromium.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Get the name of the kernel drivers in use for the sound cards and put them in a file as I posted above with your preferred one first. You will probably need to create the file and it doesn't matter what you call it as long as it ends in .conf. I use alsa.conf or alsa-base.conf.
To find kernel drivers:

lspci -k |grep -i -A 2 audio
I think Wheezy didn't have Pulseaudio whereas Jessie does. It makes some things easier but some things harder. You may even be able to set defaults in pavucontrol, but I found the above method to be more reliable for browsers.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

coldsteel

#5 Post by coldsteel »

sunrat wrote:Get the name of the kernel drivers in use for the sound cards and put them in a file as I posted above with your preferred one first. You will probably need to create the file and it doesn't matter what you call it as long as it ends in .conf. I use alsa.conf or alsa-base.conf.
To find kernel drivers:

lspci -k |grep -i -A 2 audio
I think Wheezy didn't have Pulseaudio whereas Jessie does. It makes some things easier but some things harder. You may even be able to set defaults in pavucontrol, but I found the above method to be more reliable for browsers.
Created a '/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf' and fed in these commands:

options snd_usb_audio index=1
options snd_hda_intel index=2
options snd_hda_intel index=3
rebooted, 'cat /proc/asound/modules' yielded:

1 snd_hda_intel
2 snd_usb_audio
3 snd_hda_intel
The sound still didn't work automatically, so I blacklisted snd_hda_intel.. Did so by creating '/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf' and feeding in 'blacklist snd_hda_intel'. Rebooted, 'cat /proc/asound/modules' this time produced:

1 snd_usb_audio

cat /proc/asound/cards:
1 [Cin�ma         ]: USB-Audio - Z Cinéma
                      Logitech Z Cinéma at usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, full speed
No other modules/cards had been loaded this time apart from usb/Zcinema. Again, the sound on chromium wouldn't work automatically, and for any sound to work I would have to use the GUI and keep resetting the 'Profile' function in the configuration tab :(