Chromium sound issues

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Chromium sound issues

Postby coldsteel » 2017-04-04 23:09

Hello,

I use logitech Z cinema sound speakers and this is my main output for the sound. Every time I try to play videos online on the Chromium browser the sound would not work correctly, I would hear no sound to 'infrequent noises, tiny little beeps and skips'. Now I found out if I use a GUI for PulseAudio (pictured in the screenshot), and go to the 'Configuration' tab, then to the 'Profile' section for Logitech Z, I am able to choose different settings (Off / Analog Stereo Output / Digital Stereo Output). For example I would start a random video on the youtube I would then have to change the Profile settings in this order 'Off > Digital Stereo Output' to recover/make the sound work on the Chromium. However, I would have to repeat this step everytime I would start another video, it seems the Chromium resets the configuration for Logitech Z on every new instance? Any ideas, what I could do? Much appreciated, thank you..

coldsteel

Re: Chromium sound issues

Postby sunrat » 2017-04-05 22:47

Try reordering your sound cards to make your preferred one Card 0. This may help - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad ... chitecture
On my system it simply entails a file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf as follows to make my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 as Card 0 :
Code: Select all
options snd slots=snd_ice1712,snd_hda_intel

If you need more help, post the results of
aplay -l
lspci -v |grep -i audio
lsusb -v |grep -i audio
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby coldsteel » 2017-04-08 01:52

Thank you for your reply! Please advise me how do I set the default output/sink/card0 to usb/Logitech?

aplay -l:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC262 Analog [ALC262 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 2: Cin�ma [Z Cinéma], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1

lspci -v |grep -i audio:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]

lsusb -v |grep -i audio:
bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
      AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
      AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
      AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:

My system doesn't hold the '/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf', however the '/etc/asound.conf' shows (if its of any relevance):
pcm.pulse {
type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
type pulse
}
pcm.! Default {
type pulse
}
ctl.! Default {
type press
}

The odd thing though is that before I moved to Jessie from Wheezy (installed Jessie on the clean HDD) I hadn't sound issues on Chromium :? the default (notebook) speakers however are working faultlessly on Chromium.
coldsteel

Postby sunrat » 2017-04-08 02:55

Get the name of the kernel drivers in use for the sound cards and put them in a file as I posted above with your preferred one first. You will probably need to create the file and it doesn't matter what you call it as long as it ends in .conf. I use alsa.conf or alsa-base.conf.
To find kernel drivers:
lspci -k |grep -i -A 2 audio

I think Wheezy didn't have Pulseaudio whereas Jessie does. It makes some things easier but some things harder. You may even be able to set defaults in pavucontrol, but I found the above method to be more reliable for browsers.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby coldsteel » 2017-04-21 03:09

sunrat wrote:Get the name of the kernel drivers in use for the sound cards and put them in a file as I posted above with your preferred one first. You will probably need to create the file and it doesn't matter what you call it as long as it ends in .conf. I use alsa.conf or alsa-base.conf.
To find kernel drivers:
lspci -k |grep -i -A 2 audio

I think Wheezy didn't have Pulseaudio whereas Jessie does. It makes some things easier but some things harder. You may even be able to set defaults in pavucontrol, but I found the above method to be more reliable for browsers.

Created a '/etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf' and fed in these commands:
options snd_usb_audio index=1
options snd_hda_intel index=2
options snd_hda_intel index=3

rebooted, 'cat /proc/asound/modules' yielded:
1 snd_hda_intel
2 snd_usb_audio
3 snd_hda_intel

The sound still didn't work automatically, so I blacklisted snd_hda_intel.. Did so by creating '/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf' and feeding in 'blacklist snd_hda_intel'. Rebooted, 'cat /proc/asound/modules' this time produced:
1 snd_usb_audio

cat /proc/asound/cards:
1 [Cin�ma         ]: USB-Audio - Z Cinéma
                      Logitech Z Cinéma at usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, full speed

No other modules/cards had been loaded this time apart from usb/Zcinema. Again, the sound on chromium wouldn't work automatically, and for any sound to work I would have to use the GUI and keep resetting the 'Profile' function in the configuration tab :(
coldsteel

Return to Desktop & Multimedia