Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

nvidia mess

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ksu

nvidia mess

#1 Post by ksu »

I am on latest 9.0 testing,
My box has a 970 nvidia, and i was forced to use 375.26, directly via the nvidia installer, which works as expected.
otherwise, the card is developing "garbage" similar to a RAM issue well known to some folks without luck, if I go with crap from what the Debian apt factory provides, the x session freezes, hard reset is required to get the window manager back. This happens after running the system idle, for at least one day or so.
I am wondering what is the process before feeding such non-free trash to Debian users... some of us might post such equipment on fleabay, as non-working, for 20 bucks as a result.

I understand, open-source will be monitored 100x better than proprietary crap, but this should not even appear in testing, and confuse the hell out of people.

Mike
"They did not know it was impossible so they did it” - Mark Twain

stevepusser

Re: nvidia mess

#2 Post by stevepusser »

I can't really fathom your point here. Did you file a bug so that your issue (with what I have to guess could be a memory leak with the nouveau driver) can be fixed before Stretch goes stable?
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

What was the question?
IMO the most problematic way to install Nvidia driver is from the Nvidia site download.
I'm running GTX970 on a stable system with nvidia-driver from backports, and a sid system with nvidia-driver from non-free repo. Both work fine.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

ksu wrote:developing "garbage" ... This happens after running the system idle, for at least one day or so.
hardware?