Cinnamon crashing after login nvidia drivers

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Cinnamon crashing after login nvidia drivers

Postby borja » 2017-04-11 06:58

I'm trying to get cinnamon working with a nvidia GTX960M in my laptop. I tried with 3 drivers and does not work. But maybe im installing something wrong because i have not many experience with graphic card drivers on linux.

I test with nouveau and system crashes. It show up kernel errors like cpu stall for some second i cant install or uninstall anything. After booting with nomodeset option i intalled nvidia-driver from repository so i can login (lightdm) but show up a message cinnamon has crashed and ask me if i want to reboot, but crashes again and again.

I read about some nvidia driver error maybe is fixed on latest update so i installed driver from nvidia website. No error shown during installation but the same happends.

I uninstall nvidia website driver and reinstall nvidia driver from debian repository. It crashes...

after crashing i open a console (alt+f2) and run glxinfo:

error unable to open display.

and cinnamon --replace:

Unable to init server
Window manager error: Unable to open display

Any ideas?

Thanks.
borja

Re: Cinnamon crashing after login nvidia drivers

Postby Crumbs516 » 2017-04-16 00:15

I found your post because I'm trying to debug my own nouveau issue (occasionally hangs + filling dmesg with errors).

Wonder if you read the Debian wiki on Nvidia Graphics Drivers closely.
See: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Debian_8_.22Jessie.22
Maybe you've missed some seemingly minor but important step. I know I've done that in the past.

Did you reconfigure the X server after install the Nvidia drivers or after reinstalling the nouveau drivers?
See: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#configure
I think the section on backing out in case of failure might be useful. I know the X problems I had in the past were commonly caused by bad configuration files.

Good luck.
Crumbs516

Re: Cinnamon crashing after login nvidia drivers

Postby stevepusser » 2017-04-16 05:29

The wiki says to install and run the nvidia-detect script. If you had done that, you will find out that you no doubt need the driver from jessie-backports. But you may also have a hybrid system, in which case we need full hardware details via "inxi -F"
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.1.0, Pale Moon 27.5.0, Liquorix kernel 4.12-10, mpv 0.27.0, Kodi 17.3, 0ad 0.0.22, Mesa 13.0.6
stevepusser

Return to Desktop & Multimedia