Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cinnamon crashing after login nvidia drivers

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
borja

Cinnamon crashing after login nvidia drivers

#1 Post by borja »

I'm trying to get cinnamon working with a nvidia GTX960M in my laptop. I tried with 3 drivers and does not work. But maybe im installing something wrong because i have not many experience with graphic card drivers on linux.

I test with nouveau and system crashes. It show up kernel errors like cpu stall for some second i cant install or uninstall anything. After booting with nomodeset option i intalled nvidia-driver from repository so i can login (lightdm) but show up a message cinnamon has crashed and ask me if i want to reboot, but crashes again and again.

I read about some nvidia driver error maybe is fixed on latest update so i installed driver from nvidia website. No error shown during installation but the same happends.

I uninstall nvidia website driver and reinstall nvidia driver from debian repository. It crashes...

after crashing i open a console (alt+f2) and run glxinfo:

error unable to open display.

and cinnamon --replace:

Unable to init server
Window manager error: Unable to open display

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Crumbs516

Re: Cinnamon crashing after login nvidia drivers

#2 Post by Crumbs516 »

I found your post because I'm trying to debug my own nouveau issue (occasionally hangs + filling dmesg with errors).

Wonder if you read the Debian wiki on Nvidia Graphics Drivers closely.
See: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... 2Jessie.22
Maybe you've missed some seemingly minor but important step. I know I've done that in the past.

Did you reconfigure the X server after install the Nvidia drivers or after reinstalling the nouveau drivers?
See: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#configure
I think the section on backing out in case of failure might be useful. I know the X problems I had in the past were commonly caused by bad configuration files.

Good luck.

stevepusser

Re: Cinnamon crashing after login nvidia drivers

#3 Post by stevepusser »

The wiki says to install and run the nvidia-detect script. If you had done that, you will find out that you no doubt need the driver from jessie-backports. But you may also have a hybrid system, in which case we need full hardware details via "inxi -F"
MX Linux packager and developer