Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

nvidia 375.39 driver problem

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ksu

nvidia 375.39 driver problem

#1 Post by ksu »

Hello,

The moment 375.39 was made available via the apt non-free for 9.0 i got them, upgraded from 375.26
A couple of days later, when I should expect the screen in a suspend more, the screen looked like a 8bit Commodore64 random "graphics", similar to video adapter hardware failure...
I was not happy, the GTX970 is out of warranty, and i do not have anything on that box that i could boot beside Debian, that had a nvidia driver installed. Since I 'just' upgraded the drivers 2-3 days earlier, i went back to 375.26 using the installer from their site.
The system ran for a week fine... so i got the newer driver from nvidia... ran fine, till next day - same problem, same garbage on the screen, x session frozen.... rebooted, and same next day... at that moment I said enough...
since that time ( a month ago or so ), the system runs on 375.26, with cuda just fine...

I am a bit surprised, that there is no other 375.39 related posts here...

I kept on thinking about posting this, earlier...

Thanks!

Mike
"They did not know it was impossible so they did it” - Mark Twain

marcetm

Re: nvidia 375.39 driver problem

#2 Post by marcetm »

Hi ksu,

I've got the nvidia driver 375.35 working on my system with no problem. I installed the driver as advised here:

https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... 2Jessie.22

I think you have a hardware issue, maybe you VGA card is bad or you need a better power supply.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

If only Debian had some kind of bug reporting system...
MX Linux packager and developer

phenest

#4 Post by phenest »

I'm using version 375.39-1 which works perfectly on two different systems, but I have slightly older hardware, i.e. GeForce 660 & 555M.

Perhaps the lack of reports is maybe either your driver installation is incorrect somehow, or it's a hardware failure.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

"Hey doc, it hurts when I do this..."

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

dear ksu, without looking into this any further, i strongly suspect that the newest driver simply isn't suitable for your debian version and/or hardware, hence the breakage.
it seems you managed to confirm this twice (!) and also fix it (!!) - so all's well that ends well, yes?

ksu

#7 Post by ksu »

debiman wrote:
dear ksu, without looking into this any further, i strongly suspect that the newest driver simply isn't suitable for your debian version and/or hardware, hence the breakage.
it seems you managed to confirm this twice (!) and also fix it (!!) - so all's well that ends well, yes?
In this case, everything ends well! It always does end well if using Debian, or Linux/GNU in general!

I hardly doubt the installation process has anything to do with the X freezing resulting with some graphics suitable for some geek's "screensaver" after running fine for 1-2 days.
Hardware problem, maybe... only in case it is exposed by 375.39 (and -1). Comparing 660, or any other model, other than gtx9xx (GM204) series is like comparing apples to Rubik's cube.
The Debian bug system is great, unless it comes to a reopening a considered 'fixed' case - but that's some maintainers' personal problem, such as zfs-linux package on x86_64. Now, in case of a proprietary binary closed source blob, I would not open a bug report on Debian...

After reinstalling each driver at least 4-5 times, and the ca. 1mo of smooth ride before, and after '375.39' appeared, for sure I am not about to try that option again...

This post was just an FYI, for folks, that might also have a similar problem, and blame 'just' the hardware.

In any case, thank you all,

Mike
"They did not know it was impossible so they did it” - Mark Twain