Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Logitech M570 (Unified Receiver) won't click

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
OldBob

Logitech M570 (Unified Receiver) won't click

#1 Post by OldBob »

This mouse worked for a good while but now has started behaving badly. I'm not sure if it was after an update or not.

If I've clicked inside an application, a browser for instance, then I can't click on the panel. If the panel is autohidden, it'll reappear if I move the mouse onto it, but both left and right mouse clicks are ignored.

Furthermore, if I ALT-TAB another window to the front, a terminal for instance, and try to select the text on it, the text will not have been selected but text on the browser behind it will have been selected.

If I unplug the receiver and just use the touchpad, everything works properly. It seems to be specifically this mouse. I haven't tried a wired mouse yet. Also, if I jump between workspaces I can click on the panel until I use an application and then it stops working.

When I plug in the receiver, xorg.log says this:

Code: Select all

[  1751.774] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech M570 (/dev/input/mouse1)
[  1751.774] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[  1751.774] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
[  1751.813] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Logitech M570 (/dev/input/event14)
[  1751.813] (**) Logitech M570: Applying InputClass "libinput pointer catchall"
[  1751.813] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Logitech M570'
[  1751.813] (**) Logitech M570: always reports core events
[  1751.813] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event14"
[  1751.813] (**) Option "_source" "server/udev"
[  1751.814] (II) input device 'Logitech M570', /dev/input/event14 is tagged by udev as: Mouse Trackball
[  1751.814] (II) Device 'Logitech M570' set to 540 DPI
[  1751.814] (II) input device 'Logitech M570', /dev/input/event14 is a pointer caps
[  1751.864] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/1-1.1:1.2/0003:046D:C52B.0007/0003:046D:1028.0008/input/input16/event14"
[  1751.864] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Logitech M570" (type: MOUSE, id 14)
[  1751.864] (**) Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
[  1751.864] (**) Logitech M570: (accel) selected scheme none/0
[  1751.864] (**) Logitech M570: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[  1751.864] (**) Logitech M570: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[  1751.865] (II) input device 'Logitech M570', /dev/input/event14 is tagged by udev as: Mouse Trackball
[  1751.865] (II) Device 'Logitech M570' set to 540 DPI
[  1751.865] (II) input device 'Logitech M570', /dev/input/event14 is a pointer caps
Tried both XFCE and LXDE, so an Xorg problem? Or kernel?

I have no xorg.conf. Any .conf files in /usr/share/X11 are defaults.

Does anyone have any idea where I can begin looking to solve this? Thank you.

Richard
Last edited by OldBob on 2017-04-17 18:02, edited 2 times in total.

debiman

Re: Logitech M570 (Unified Receiver) won't click or keep foc

#2 Post by debiman »

I have a similar logitech mouse here and never had the slightest bit of trouble with it, and most of your narrative points to a different software problem. Except for this:
OldBob wrote:If I unplug the receiver and just use the touchpad, everything works properly.
what i'd do:
1) most important, check the hardware -
a) battery
b) physically clean the mouse mine has a screw, and there was quite a bit of fluff in it. just blow it out. remove hair + fluff from the scrollwheel. clean the lens (gently blow on it, unless you can see some obstruction) and clean the perspex thing that covers the lens.
c) something interfering with the wireless? other devices?
2) maybe your touchpad is sending stray clicks or otherwise interfering; can you disable it completely? i think there's a command for that, 'synclient enable=0' or some such. maybe even unload the driver.
3) speaking of drivers, please find out which drivers the mouse and touchpad use (debian wiki is your friend) and whether they are the proper ones.

i'd still keep an open mind for the possibility that this might have nothing to do with mouse or driver.

also, which debian version? when did this problem start? right after installation? if not, what did you do immediately before the problem started?

OldBob

Re: Logitech M570 (Unified Receiver) won't click (SOLVED)

#3 Post by OldBob »

Thank you for you help debiman!
what i'd do:
1) most important, check the hardware -
a) battery
b) physically clean the mouse mine has a screw, and there was quite a bit of fluff in it. just blow it out. remove hair + fluff from the scrollwheel. clean the lens (gently blow on it, unless you can see some obstruction) and clean the perspex thing that covers the lens.
c) something interfering with the wireless? other devices?
I don't think these things could be the problem because both motion and clicks work fine. The problem is the window focus is totally bizarro. I did change the battery but it didn't help. It was at 65%. I clean it occasionally when the ball doesn't move as freely. I'm not as thorough as you. I haven't removed any screws yet.

However, you mentioned the driver. I had been using Debian testing for several months but this problem cropped up a few weeks ago. I didn't have synclient installed and found that it's in the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package. But then I found that package wasn't installed! It definitely was installed because I vaguely remember having to mess about to get the touchpad working when I first installed Debian. So somewhere along the way the synaptics driver got uninstalled. So I installed that and somehow my Logitech mouse started to work.

Long story short, it was a driver thing. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, debiman.

Richard

OldBob

Re: Logitech M570 (Unified Receiver) won't click

#4 Post by OldBob »

Good times.

Things are only sort of working. What I've found is things do not work when the laptop is first turned on. However, if I log out and log back in, everything works fine. Presumably, this is because X is restarted.

So anyway, I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps drivers are being loaded in the wrong order? I'm putting this here so others with a similar problem know a workaround.

Personally, I'm a bit tired of fighting with this.

Richard

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

OldBob wrote:The problem is the window focus is totally bizarro.
this is a somewhat vague description. :mrgreen:
more importantly, i don't understand how that could have anything to do with the pointer.
but moot to discuss before you explain it properly.

since you say you
a) use testing
b) had partial success reinstalling some driver software

i got the idea that maybe this has to do with libinput (which has replaced synaptics amongst other afaiu).

PS:
you still use a mouse with an actual ball? :shock:
even my 80-year-old father threw those out decades ago.

peer

#6 Post by peer »

I have a logitech marble mouse. I did have strange problems when I was text coping with the mouse. For the rest the mouse worked normal.

At first I thought this was a software problem in the mouse. I have opened the mouse, tried to clean the mouse inside (not a easy job),
I found there was dust between the clicking buttons and the microswitches. After I cleaned the mouse and put it together again it could copy text again in the normal way.

It was a specific problem. I did not expect that is was a dust problem but it was.

Perhaps cleaning you mouse does help

dasein

#7 Post by dasein »

debiman wrote:you still use a mouse with an actual ball? :shock:
Then your father's mouse didn't look like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireles ... B0043T7FXE

@OP -> +1 for a thorough cleaning

OldBob

#8 Post by OldBob »

debiman wrote:
OldBob wrote:The problem is the window focus is totally bizarro.
this is a somewhat vague description. :mrgreen:
more importantly, i don't understand how that could have anything to do with the pointer.
but moot to discuss before you explain it properly.
I did explain it properly in the first post. If I interact with an application, then I can't interact with the window manager. For example, after I type this, I won't be able to click on the XFCE panel. If that's not clear, please explain why not.

Furthermore, if I Alt-tab a window on top of another and try to select text, the text from the window behind that one will get selected. If that's not clear, please say so.

debiman wrote: since you say you
a) use testing
b) had partial success reinstalling some driver software

i got the idea that maybe this has to do with libinput (which has replaced synaptics amongst other afaiu).
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The problem goes away when I log out and log back in. When I installed the synaptics driver, I logged out and logged back in so everything started to work again. I mistakenly thought it was because of the new driver but it was because X was restarted.
debiman wrote: PS:
you still use a mouse with an actual ball? :shock:
Huh? It's a Logitech M570. It's a wireless trackball mouse. And quite digital. Please at least read the subject line before you answer. :P Or are you referring to peer's mouse? It's also a digital trackball.

Speaking of peer's mouse, I have one of those too! And it works fine. This problem is specific to this mouse.

In a nutshell, the problem is once a window has focus, it doesn't relinquish focus, so I can't use the mouse for other things. I can move the mouse outside the borders of the window, but I can't click on anything. If I want to click on something, I can toggle workspaces, which works until I use a window, and then I have to do it again.

Thoughts?

dasein

#9 Post by dasein »

OldBob wrote:This problem is specific to this mouse.
Finally!

All available evidence points to a hardware problem. The trackball has a problem, but the touchpad and a second external pointing device work fine.

The problem "could" be anywhere in the chain: flaky USB port (try switching ports), dying dongle, or a physical issue with the trackball.

I'll say it again: give the trackball a thorough cleaning. If that doesn't fix the problem, consider replacing the unit. (The little microswitch assemblies in today's Logitech units are of notoriously lesser quality than in the past.)

At this point, your only hope of blaming software would be a failure-to-reproduce in a virgin install. Cleaning the mouse is quicker.

(P.S. If you're using a display manager. logging out doesn't restart X.)

OldBob

#10 Post by OldBob »

Finally!
Yes, I've finally admitted it was specific to this mouse, except for my first post. :lol:

I've given up on that mouse. I just have to figure out how to get scrolling to work with the 3rd and 4th buttons on this marble mouse, and I'll be set. I might pull that mouse open at some point to clean it. Or just get a different brand, if Logitech's stuff isn't as good. Any suggestions?

Thank you everyone for your time and patience.

dasein

#11 Post by dasein »

OldBob wrote:Yes, I've finally admitted it was specific to this mouse, except for my first post. :lol:
Actually, your first post explicitly follows that statement with:
I haven't tried a wired mouse yet.
Which leaves two contradictory statements unarbitrated. This is not data.
OldBob wrote:Any suggestions?
None. At this point, any suggestions I would be inclined to offer would qualify as anatomically impossible.

OldBob

#12 Post by OldBob »

Okaaay, I didn't mean to offend.

I will thank everyone again for their time and patience and let's leave it at that.

debiman

#13 Post by debiman »

dasein wrote:Then your father's mouse didn't look like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireles ... B0043T7FXE
i stand corrected! i didn't think of that sort of ball.
and who am i to start searching every $OP's hardware specs...