Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[unsolved] Firefox rendering issue

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
bester69

[unsolved] Firefox rendering issue

#1 Post by bester69 »

I recentlly did a fresh debian testing installation... It only happend with firefox, it doesnt occur in others browsers.

It happend with scroll and onmouseover some items in the page, I disabled "hardware acceleration" in firefox, and still happens.

Firefox-esr 45.8.0
debian Stretch x64

20-intel.conf

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
   Option      "TearFree" "true"
 EndSection
Last edited by bester69 on 2017-05-13 00:16, edited 3 times in total.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

debiman

Re: Firefox ESR graphics tearing

#2 Post by debiman »

i thought you were a happy user of opera, on your 2008 laptop?
firefox hasn't been so good with hardware accelaration, surely it isn't surprising that it performs sub-optimally on that machine?

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

debiman wrote:i thought you were a happy user of opera, on your 2008 laptop?
firefox hasn't been so good with hardware accelaration, surely it isn't surprising that it performs sub-optimally on that machine?
Hi debiman, Ive just tested this snappy kind of firefox version, and it doesnt happend in it, so its not about hardware requirements, perhaps something to be with glibc ..?,.. extrange :shock:

https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/Firefox#files
https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/d ... 4.AppImage
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#4 Post by bester69 »

Sorry guys.

I cleaned /etc firefox folder, caches, profiles, etc, i reinstalled, and reboot, and it seems to be fixed.

bester69

Re: [unsolved] Firefox issue

#5 Post by bester69 »

I still got big rendering tears with firefox-esr, what make me dudes about some broken system or so, what i dont believe cos i have all my system and apps working really great for long (I even reinstalled recentlly).
I dont find any clear solution in google neither, Its really weird, it only happend to me since some last firefox's version, I installed a portable version, but its reproducing the issue again as well.

I also detected some similar random issue with synaptic contextual menu, It renders black and white jumping background color. :shock:

Could it be something about graphics firmware??,

bester69

Re: [unsolved] Firefox rendering issue

#6 Post by bester69 »

I found this, I might need to upgrade my intel firmware.. can i bypass that, i want to keep the old firmware
Upgrade your graphics drivers to use hardware acceleration and WebGL

Firefox and some plugins use your graphics card to help speed up the display of web content. Graphic cards are also used by advanced web features like WebGL. To fix problems with these features or to take advantage of them, you may need to update your graphics card drivers. This article describes how to do that.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/up ... celeration

furquan

#7 Post by furquan »

bester69 wrote:I recentlly did a fresh debian testing installation... It only happend with firefox, it doesnt occur in others browsers.

It happend with scroll and onmouseover some items in the page, I disabled "hardware acceleration" in firefox, and still happens.

Firefox-esr 45.8.0
debian Stretch x64

20-intel.conf

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
   Option      "TearFree" "true"
 EndSection
Tearing in Firefox? It used to happen a lot to me while scrolling down webpages or watching YouTube videos (using HTML5 of course). I added the "Option Tearfree" line and the tearing was gone.

May I ask what desktop-environment are you using? I was using Xfce so switching the compositor could have also helped me.

If you're not using Xfce then try toggling "layers.acceleration.force-enabled" in about:config. You can also try enabling Multiprocess (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/05/ubun ... ess-enable) but it's possible that your addons may not allow it.

If all else fails then try downloading the latest version of Firefox from their official site and give it a spin, perhaps it has been fixed in the recent versions?
The source code for the kernel, library, etc. should fit on one diskette. Sources for the GNU utilities will vary (and will be big). The sources to GNU emacs will take at least 3 disks. -- Theodore Ts'o, 1992 (distributing the first Linux disks)

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

furquan wrote: If you're not using Xfce then try toggling "layers.acceleration.force-enabled" in about:config. .
If all else fails then try downloading the latest version of Firefox from their official site and give it a spin, perhaps it has been fixed in the recent versions?
Thanks for you help, Im using kde 5.8
I will check that,

Im not really sure cos i work with opera, but I think it didnt happend to me in portable version (bintray.com), So what i saw that day was occuring only with java-jdk in firefox. I also eventually sisabled Webgl (webgl.disable=True), even so, it was wrong with jdk-java.

It says "some plugins" (perhaps jdk-java) use WebGL hardware acceleration as well.
Upgrade your graphics drivers to use hardware acceleration and WebGL

Firefox and some plugins use your graphics card to help speed up the display of web content. ....

furquan

#9 Post by furquan »

bester69 wrote:
furquan wrote: Im not really sure cos i work with opera, but I think it didnt happend to me in portable version (bintray.com), So what i saw that day was occuring only with java-jdk in firefox. I also eventually sisabled Webgl (webgl.disable=True), even so, it was wrong with jdk-java.
NPAPI support was dropped in the recent versions of Firefox thus the Java-plugin (or Flash for that matter) won't work. Try giving the latest version a try (you can download from their official site and put it in /opt to try it without installing), I'm sure it will fix your problem (albeit by purging the cause, which may not benefit you in the end).

Enabling multiprocess speeds up Firefox significantly so find out what addons aren't compatible (using this addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -reporter/), disable them and turn it on by toggling browser.tabs.remote.autostart (in about:config) and it should be enabled on the next restart (check about:support and see if the "Multiprocess Windows" entry has a value >1).

On a side note, what do you need Java for? I'm sure people have obscure uses of Flash even now but I personally find no good reason in keeping the Java plugin in Firefox (even though I'm a Java developer).

I hope this helps. Tearing is very annoying and ruins the user experience; imho we should've done away with it a long ago considering that Linux desktop has come this far.
The source code for the kernel, library, etc. should fit on one diskette. Sources for the GNU utilities will vary (and will be big). The sources to GNU emacs will take at least 3 disks. -- Theodore Ts'o, 1992 (distributing the first Linux disks)

debiman

#10 Post by debiman »

bester69 wrote:Ive just tested this snappy kind of firefox version, and it doesnt happend in it, so its not about hardware requirements, perhaps something to be with glibc ..?,.. extrange :shock:

https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/Firefox#files
https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/d ... 4.AppImage
is this bintray site trustworthy?
to download precompiled binaries from???

in any case, maybe that's why it doesn't work and you should complain to them.

maybe this isn't a debian issue at all.

bester69

#11 Post by bester69 »

furquan wrote:
NPAPI support was dropped in the recent versions of Firefox thus the Java-plugin (or Flash for that matter) won't work. Try giving the latest version a try (you can download from their official site and put it in /opt to try it without installing), I'm sure it will fix your problem (albeit by purging the cause, which may not benefit you in the end).

Enabling multipro.....
On a side note, what do you need Java for? I'm sure people have obscure uses of Flash even now but I personally find no good reason in keeping the Java plugin in Firefox (even though I'm a Java developer).

I hope this helps. Tearing is very annoying and ruins the user experience; imho we should've done away with it a long ago considering that Linux desktop has come this far.
Thanks, for help. I need Java plugin for Management of the public administration, such as Fine payment, Declaration of properties, etc. Until now firefox, its the only browser that i know that works well with java jre/jdk.

it doesn matter, its just a litle annoying sometimes when it start to tears, but im using opera, so i give it up with this problem, i hope eventually a new upgrade fixed it.

thanks to all.