Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

MATE caja with extra panel -- background colour

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
lülu

MATE caja with extra panel -- background colour

#1 Post by lülu »

Hey,

I was using MATE 1.8 on jessie and upgraded to stretch (MATE 1.16) now. Several smaller problems appeared ...

One of them is: Before, when using caja and adding an extra panel (via F3), it was clearly visible which of the two panels was active (white background), and which was not (greyish background). At least in "symbol" and "compact" view mode ("Listenansicht"/"Kompakte Ansicht") both panels are now with white background, so it is not clearly visible which of them is active. The greyish background only appears in "list" view mode ("Listenansicht").

I was trying to change that, but did not find an option to do so. Any ideas how I can enable the greyish background for the inactive panels in caja again?

TonyT

Re: MATE caja with extra panel -- background colour

#2 Post by TonyT »

I never ran mate on any earlier versions of Debian. I'm running Stretch and Mate and if I add an extra pane in Caja the background is white. Though I never add extra panels, don't have a use for it. I usually just use multiple windows when I need to. As far as which pane is active, it's easy to tell, Both are active! And the one with the selected item is the last used.

lülu

#3 Post by lülu »

Thanks for ypur post, but it's not that easy, only one of them is "active". With active I mean that it reacts on keyboard input, for example pressing "Del" etc. That's why I liked it when the extra panel was greyed out, as you could easily see which panel is active ...

I'm running debian on a dozen machines of my relatives etc., and they're used to using these extra panels. That's why it would be great if there is a way to fix it.

deborah-and-ian

#4 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Mate ported everything from GTK2 to GTK3. Now depending on which theme you're using, you might see graphical glitches where there were none before. May I ask which theme you're using? The safest bet would probably be to use what the Debian maintainers of Mate have set as the default Mate theme.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

lülu

#5 Post by lülu »

Thanks for that hint!

I'm using the "TraditionalOk" theme. I now tried it on a newly installed machine, it also happens there (so not only with an upgraded machine) and it also happens in the standard theme ("Menta").

TonyT

#6 Post by TonyT »

MATE is now almost all GTK3. If look at the theme's GTK3 CSS you'll see a mate-applications.css. Usually the first entry is for Caja.

/usr/share/themes/TraditionalGreen/GTK-3.0/mate-applications.css

Example:

.caja-navigation-window .view.caja-canvas-item:selected {
color: @theme_fg_color;
}

You may be able to modify a theme to achieve the desired background color of the active split-view panel.

Best I can tell, there *may* be a selector (active) for .caja-navigation-window:active but unfortunately the documentation for MATE themes CSS does not exist as far as I know. You may find an answer in older Nauitilus documentation because Caja is a port of it. And bear in mind that .caja-navigation-window may not be the exact CSS class to modify. I chose that one because it seems to apply.

The split-screen feature was removed in newer Nautilus versions a while ago. Quote below from here.

Extra Pane mode was somewhat useful before GNOME 3 had side by side window mode. The combination of panes and tabs is just too much. It is inconsistent with the file chooser and doesn't work well with touch.

Perhaps MATE developers are following the same logic..

Looking at my theme used for Gnome when I was using Wheezy, the GTK-3.0 theme had this file: gnome-applications.css. In it is this:

.nautilus-inactive-pane .view {
background-color: @theme_unfocused_base_color;
}

Caja in Jessie may have a similar class like "nautilus-inactive-pane". Check the theme you used before you upgraded to Stretch.
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/all/ ... s/download

lülu

#7 Post by lülu »

Thanks a lot for these hints as well. So it looks like there is some kind of solution possible. I was not able to fix it for myself, so I tried my luck at github, maybe one of the devs knows the correct class name etc.

https://github.com/mate-desktop/caja/issues/767