Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Display shuts off in CLI

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
qbrian

Display shuts off in CLI

#1 Post by qbrian »

Hello people of Debian,

I just started using Debian to bring back an old laptop, the Acer Aspire One KAV10.

I did not have any problems during installation and I did not find any difficulties in the GUI; However, when I'm within CLI, it's practically impossible to use my computer. The screen shuts off automatically, after a TOT of seconds (about 25 seconds, more or less ...), and I'm forced to turn on the monitor every time I press any key.

Also, I noticed the same problem, in GUI environment, by trying Pixel OS from Live.

Hope you can help me and give you tips to fix the problem!

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Display shuts off in CLI

#2 Post by arochester »

When you say
I'm within CLI
what do you mean?

How did you arrive there? Do you mean the Virtual Console, where you press Ctrl+Alt+F1? If you are using this, is there any advantage for you over using a Terminal in the GUI?

qbrian

#3 Post by qbrian »

Sorry if I was unclear.
When I say CLI I mean the Command Line Interface; the one you reach by pressing the Alt + Ctrl + F#

qbrian

#5 Post by qbrian »

OK.
I will try it and post if it works

qbrian

#6 Post by qbrian »

arochester wrote:Ok, it's an Ubuntu answer but how about https://askubuntu.com/questions/138918/ ... ntu-server ...
Hi arochester,
I just tried to follow the tips of your link, but it did not change anything.
I overwritten the line <GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash consoleblank=0> and I tried to use the command "setterm -blank 0" in the terminal, but it did not work:

Code: Select all

qbrian@aceraspiredebian:/$ setterm -blank
setterm: terminal xterm does not support --blank
( Maybe I did not understand how it works and I typed the command badly )

Do you have more to recommend?

Bulkley

#7 Post by Bulkley »

qbrian, I'm a little bit puzzled about your use of CLI. This is not a criticism as I use it too, particularly when doing major upgrades. So, a few minor questions that might not help at all. First, can you use CLI in a terminal emulator such as Xterm without it causing a problem? There are several choices when doing Alt + Ctrl + F#. Do they all have the problem?

Now, here's where I'm going. When I do a major upgrade I shutdown X completely which takes me back to a console CLI prompt. I don't use a login box/display manager of any kind. I log in by CLI and use startx to bring up X. So, I'm wondering if it is possible that you have a display manager that interferes in some way with a terminal. It would be freaky but is it possible?

Regardless, Alt + Ctrl + F5 (as an example) should not give you the problems you indicate. As you are using a laptop I'm wondering if a power saver is causing problems. Can you turn it off? This can be more difficult than one would think. There is a master code somewhere that may override any GUI instruction.

One last thing. Is your Debian stock? Which version? Have you added anything or mixed repositories?

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

qbrian wrote:

qbrian@aceraspiredebian:/$ setterm -blank
setterm: terminal xterm does not support --blank
no, it probably won't work from the gui.

fwiw, i have the following lines in my /etc/bash.bashrc:

case ${TERM} in
  xterm*|rxvt*|Eterm|aterm|kterm|gnome*)
    PROMPT_COMMAND=${PROMPT_COMMAND:+$PROMPT_COMMAND; }'printf "\033]0;%s: %s\007" "${SHELL##*/}" "${PWD/#$HOME/\~}"'
    ;;
  screen)
    PROMPT_COMMAND=${PROMPT_COMMAND:+$PROMPT_COMMAND; }'printf "\033_%s@%s:%s\033\\" "${USER}" "${HOSTNAME%%.*}" "${PWD/#$HOME/\~}"'
    ;;
  linux)
    setterm --blength 0
    setterm --blank 4
    setterm --powerdown 8
    ;;
esac
also see

man setterm

PS:
i have never experienced what you experience.

phenest

#9 Post by phenest »

I have to agree with Bulkley's suggestion. Although the GUI works fine, it could be a video driver issue.

Seeing as no one has asked, and you haven't told us, what is the output of:

lspci -k
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D