Display shuts off in CLI

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Display shuts off in CLI

Postby qbrian » 2017-04-21 06:46

Hello people of Debian,

I just started using Debian to bring back an old laptop, the Acer Aspire One KAV10.

I did not have any problems during installation and I did not find any difficulties in the GUI; However, when I'm within CLI, it's practically impossible to use my computer. The screen shuts off automatically, after a TOT of seconds (about 25 seconds, more or less ...), and I'm forced to turn on the monitor every time I press any key.

Also, I noticed the same problem, in GUI environment, by trying Pixel OS from Live.

Hope you can help me and give you tips to fix the problem!
qbrian

Re: Display shuts off in CLI

Postby arochester » 2017-04-21 09:21

When you say
I'm within CLI
what do you mean?

How did you arrive there? Do you mean the Virtual Console, where you press Ctrl+Alt+F1? If you are using this, is there any advantage for you over using a Terminal in the GUI?
arochester

Postby qbrian » 2017-04-21 09:28

Sorry if I was unclear.
When I say CLI I mean the Command Line Interface; the one you reach by pressing the Alt + Ctrl + F#
qbrian

Postby arochester » 2017-04-21 10:32

Ok, it's an Ubuntu answer but how about https://askubuntu.com/questions/138918/ ... ntu-server ...
arochester

Postby qbrian » 2017-04-22 08:13

OK.
I will try it and post if it works
qbrian

Postby qbrian » 2017-04-22 14:32

arochester wrote:Ok, it's an Ubuntu answer but how about https://askubuntu.com/questions/138918/ ... ntu-server ...

Hi arochester,
I just tried to follow the tips of your link, but it did not change anything.
I overwritten the line <GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash consoleblank=0> and I tried to use the command "setterm -blank 0" in the terminal, but it did not work:

Code: Select all
qbrian@aceraspiredebian:/$ setterm -blank
setterm: terminal xterm does not support --blank

( Maybe I did not understand how it works and I typed the command badly )

Do you have more to recommend?
qbrian

Postby Bulkley » 2017-04-22 15:49

qbrian, I'm a little bit puzzled about your use of CLI. This is not a criticism as I use it too, particularly when doing major upgrades. So, a few minor questions that might not help at all. First, can you use CLI in a terminal emulator such as Xterm without it causing a problem? There are several choices when doing Alt + Ctrl + F#. Do they all have the problem?

Now, here's where I'm going. When I do a major upgrade I shutdown X completely which takes me back to a console CLI prompt. I don't use a login box/display manager of any kind. I log in by CLI and use startx to bring up X. So, I'm wondering if it is possible that you have a display manager that interferes in some way with a terminal. It would be freaky but is it possible?

Regardless, Alt + Ctrl + F5 (as an example) should not give you the problems you indicate. As you are using a laptop I'm wondering if a power saver is causing problems. Can you turn it off? This can be more difficult than one would think. There is a master code somewhere that may override any GUI instruction.

One last thing. Is your Debian stock? Which version? Have you added anything or mixed repositories?
Bulkley

Postby debiman » 2017-04-22 18:46

qbrian wrote:
qbrian@aceraspiredebian:/$ setterm -blank
setterm: terminal xterm does not support --blank

no, it probably won't work from the gui.

fwiw, i have the following lines in my /etc/bash.bashrc:
case ${TERM} in
  xterm*|rxvt*|Eterm|aterm|kterm|gnome*)
    PROMPT_COMMAND=${PROMPT_COMMAND:+$PROMPT_COMMAND; }'printf "\033]0;%s: %s\007" "${SHELL##*/}" "${PWD/#$HOME/\~}"'
    ;;
  screen)
    PROMPT_COMMAND=${PROMPT_COMMAND:+$PROMPT_COMMAND; }'printf "\033_%s@%s:%s\033\\" "${USER}" "${HOSTNAME%%.*}" "${PWD/#$HOME/\~}"'
    ;;
  linux)
    setterm --blength 0
    setterm --blank 4
    setterm --powerdown 8
    ;;
esac
also see
man setterm

PS:
i have never experienced what you experience.
debiman

Postby phenest » 2017-04-22 20:53

I have to agree with Bulkley's suggestion. Although the GUI works fine, it could be a video driver issue.

Seeing as no one has asked, and you haven't told us, what is the output of:
lspci -k
NEC Spirit 550 P4 3.8GHz HT - 2GB RAM - nVidia 7600GT - Pioneer BDR-209DBK
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - 2x nVidia 660GTX SLI'd
phenest

Return to Desktop & Multimedia