Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HDMI crashes when connected to tv and watching a movie

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
fsr_

HDMI crashes when connected to tv and watching a movie

#1 Post by fsr_ »

Hi

I couldn't find an answer so i decided to ask for help.

Im new to Debian, but if well explained i manage my way through terminal and file edition if thats the case.

Each time i connect my computer (Asus K50IE) through HDMI to a tv, everything runs fine. I start watching a movie through vlc and after 10 minutes the laptop freezes and i have to disconnect it from power and remove the battery in order to restart.

Some aditional info:

- This happens everytime when watching a movie, and after the restart, normally it doesnt freeze again (but sometimes it does).
-I have a nvidia 300m, and open drivers (Gallium 0.4 on NVA8)
-It happens with every movie format and resolution (avi, mov, mp4, flv / HD, Full HD, below hd).
- i have debian 8 64 bit

I hope you can help me. After researching it seems my problem is not quite like others i've read.

fsr_

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: HDMI crashes when connected to tv and watching a movie

#2 Post by arochester »

1) Make sure your screensaver is turned off. Even if it just produces a blank screen.
2) Make sure that you turn off your laptops ability to suspend or hibernate. https://wiki.debian.org/Suspend - scroll down to "Disable suspend and hibernation"
3) How much RAM have you got?

debiman

Re: HDMI crashes when connected to tv and watching a movie

#3 Post by debiman »

fsr_ wrote:Each time i connect my computer (Asus K50IE) through HDMI to a tv, everything runs fine. I start watching a movie through vlc and after 10 minutes the laptop freezes and i have to disconnect it from power and remove the battery in order to restart.
first things first: it's probably enough to long-press the power button. no need to remove the battery...
but any hard shutdown should be avoided, because it's not good for your operating system.

now.
- is it really a hard freeze? can you still change tty? try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 when this happens.
- try to reproduce the problem with a) another media player b) another video port
- are you always using the hdmi port, or only when you watch movies? in other words, is your problem connected to using the hdmi port, or to watching movies through the hdmi port?