Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

logitech c920 mic

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
splash88

logitech c920 mic

#1 Post by splash88 »

Mic and video work with guvcview
But do not work with cheese or skype.

guvcview works after I change input device from "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" to "HD Pro Webcam c920 Analog Stereo"

The Audio API is PULSEAUDIO. There is an option for PORTAUDIO

I tried changing desktop managers a few times, but really no difference.
So it would seem that the system is defaulting to the Audio jack on the back of the computer.

There must be some config file I am supposed to edit, so the USB audo from the webcam becomes he default.
Which I am guessing will fix the problem?

Can anyone tell me what that file is and what changes I should make? Or if thats wrong any other help would be appreciated.

Thank you

splash88

Re: logitech c920 mic

#2 Post by splash88 »

Alright so there is now I am trying to edit.
/etc/pulse/default.pa

I ran "pacmd list-sources"
Daemon not responding.

splash88

#3 Post by splash88 »

Edited /etc/pulse/default.pa
appended

set-default-source alsa_input.usb-046d_HD_Pro_Webcam_C920_371A4CCF-02-C920.analog-stereo

This seems to have fixed somethings.

Cheese seems to work.

Skype still does not. But that may require an application reinstall. I will check later.

As I know someone else will have this problem.
I got " alsa_input.usb-046d_HD_Pro_Webcam_C920_371A4CCF-02-C920.analog-stereo" from "pacmd list-sources" (which worked after a reboot.

I got the whole idea from some ubuntu site. Close enough to debian to give a try. https://askubuntu.com/questions/31206/h ... microphone

If anyother problems I will update

horgh

#4 Post by horgh »

In most apps, e.g. in Hangouts, you will be able to select which Video and which Mic source to use, of several. You should be able to do this in Skype too. This avoids needing to change what the default is for each.

I use this same camera for both its mic and cam in Skype/Hangouts/Meet and I've used the cam in cheese.

splash88

#5 Post by splash88 »

Thanks. It all seems fine now.
Skype did not allow me to modify it. So I just upgraded. Bad idea.

Long story short. The camera and mic work. Think I will try to switch to a free alternative to skype. It would make me happier anyway.

Cheers

horgh wrote:In most apps, e.g. in Hangouts, you will be able to select which Video and which Mic source to use, of several. You should be able to do this in Skype too. This avoids needing to change what the default is for each.

I use this same camera for both its mic and cam in Skype/Hangouts/Meet and I've used the cam in cheese.