Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bugs in every single Linux distro

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Alkkem

Bugs in every single Linux distro

#1 Post by Alkkem »

Hi everyone!

I decided to install a Linux OS alongisde with Windows 7 on my desktop computer, but I've got an error in every single distribution that I've tried. I've already tried Debian, LinuxMint and Kali, and in every one of them I've got the same error:
When I enter my user session, there's a moment (about 5 mins after I login) in which I cannot click certain items. For instance: imagine I've opened mozilla firefox. Then I cannot select anything from the window, move it, close it, minimise/maximise it... i cannot click items on the taskbar either. But I can use the keyboard, there's no problem with that.

The thing is that my mouse is working, because there are a few items that I can click on. But I have this shitty error that has been driving me mad the whole weekend. I've tried with another mouse, but nothing.

Any idea of what it could be?

Thank you beforehand :D

edbarx

Re: Bugs in every single Linux distro

#2 Post by edbarx »

Your description points to a probable hardware failure. Did use use another USB socket for the second mouse you tested?
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Alkkem

#3 Post by Alkkem »

edbarx wrote:Your description points to a probable hardware failure. Did use use another USB socket for the second mouse you tested?
Of course i did, but it doesn't matter.
What's really annoying me is that it happens in EVERY distro I've tested. I tested Debian first and when it happened I thought I could solve it just by installing Mint (as it is much more complet in some ways, you know). But I was horrified when I noticed the bug kept appearing over and over again.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

That is why it sounds like something is wrong with the PC, Hardware,...
Not a bug in the various OS 's. Repair the hardware, then install the OS of your choice.

gradinaruvasile

#5 Post by gradinaruvasile »

I suppose it is a video card/driver issue. It would be helpful if you post the desktop environment, output of dmesg and the xorg log.

acewiza

#6 Post by acewiza »

I've seen something similar on one of my laptops, not sure if it is the same or related issue. At some seemingly random point in time the graphical input device (either mouse or touchpad) continues moving normally, but stops commanding clicks for a brief period of maybe half a minute. Then it resumes normal behavior. I put it down to some background scheduled process that either consumes too many CPU cycles or somehow otherwise conflicts with the GUI input. Never really caused any other problem, so I just basically ignored it and haven't noticed at all lately. It wasn't enough of an issue to even bother investigating, so probably irrelevant to this discussion anyway - certainly no reason to proclaim "bugs in every distro."
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

eor2004

#7 Post by eor2004 »

acewiza wrote:I've seen something similar on one of my laptops, not sure if it is the same or related issue. At some seemingly random point in time the graphical input device (either mouse or touchpad) continues moving normally, but stops commanding clicks for a brief period of maybe half a minute. Then it resumes normal behavior."
I have suffered a similar behavior with my system from time to time, the mouse stops responding or moving for like 10 or 15 seconds, surely it annoys me but it's not a showstopper either, anyway I wonder what could be the real cause for this behavior! :?
Last edited by eor2004 on 2017-05-02 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

Alkkem wrote:When I enter my user session, there's a moment (about 5 mins after I login) in which I cannot click certain items. For instance: imagine I've opened mozilla firefox. Then I cannot select anything from the window, move it, close it, minimise/maximise it... i cannot click items on the taskbar either. But I can use the keyboard, there's no problem with that.

The thing is that my mouse is working, because there are a few items that I can click on. But I have this shitty error that has been driving me mad the whole weekend. I've tried with another mouse, but nothing.
and then? does it stay like that? does it go away after a while?
does the system behave normally otherwise?

what are the "certain items" that you cannot click?
what are the "few items" that you can click?

can you either reproduce the error or try to make it behave differently?
maybe log in, then don't touch the machine for 10min, then what?
could be a brwoser issue? which browser?

what sort of hardware?
is there a touchpad involved (they tend to go haywire with age)?

phenest

#9 Post by phenest »

Alkkem wrote:I decided to install a Linux OS alongisde with Windows 7 on my desktop computer
You still have Windows, yes? Can I assume it works ok in Windows? Just to rule out hardware problems.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

dasein

#10 Post by dasein »

@OP: Full and complete hardware specs, please. Without them, no one can help you.

Roken

#12 Post by Roken »

Let's start at the start. Do you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and if so, what's in it?

Ardouos

#13 Post by Ardouos »

Alkkem wrote: The thing is that my mouse is working, because there are a few items that I can click on. But I have this shitty error that has been driving me mad the whole weekend. I've tried with another mouse, but nothing.
Do your mice work fine with Windows 7?
Are both the mice you used USB mice?
What mice were they?
Do you have similar issues with your keyboard?
Have you tried different USB ports?

Alkkem wrote: Any idea of what it could be?
Not sure, it could be a hardware issue as people are recommending.

I have seen this issue before, where the users mouse would move but not respond to clicking on applications and the desktop. In the end it was resolved by creating a config file for the mouse.

Sorry if any of my questions have already been answered, just ignore them. It is late and I just wanted to add my two cents.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

debiman

#15 Post by debiman »

is this a video of little furry creatures getting smashed in a bar?
please confirm, i think i'm hallucinating.

smoki

#16 Post by smoki »

Alkkem wrote:I've tried. I've already tried Debian, LinuxMint and Kali, and in every one of them I've got the same error:
Remove dconf maybe :lol:

furquan

#17 Post by furquan »

eor2004 wrote:
acewiza wrote:I've seen something similar on one of my laptops, not sure if it is the same or related issue. At some seemingly random point in time the graphical input device (either mouse or touchpad) continues moving normally, but stops commanding clicks for a brief period of maybe half a minute. Then it resumes normal behavior."
I have suffered a similar behavior with my system from time to time, the mouse stops responding or moving for like 10 or 15 seconds, surely it annoys me but it's not a showstopper either, anyway I wonder what could be the real cause for this behavior! :?
I've seen this behavior too on my current Debian system. But it does not just trigger spontaneously (it has no reason too -- I've a fairly generic machine with a traditional HDD and an Intel GPU) but this happens when I wake the system from hibernate (which was hibernated using sudo pm-hibernate); the mouse stops for about 15-20 seconds and nothing works. And suspend

Back on topic, the OP's problem is broad and cannot be assessed as it stands. If Windows works but Linux(es) don't then it's perhaps due to a malfunctioning piece of hardware. A brief review of the system is necessary for these kinds of problems.
The source code for the kernel, library, etc. should fit on one diskette. Sources for the GNU utilities will vary (and will be big). The sources to GNU emacs will take at least 3 disks. -- Theodore Ts'o, 1992 (distributing the first Linux disks)