Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Several graphical environments with no problems

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
rs7000

Several graphical environments with no problems

#1 Post by rs7000 »

I tried to install additional graphical environments and all became messed up. For example elements from another environment was in another... Is there safe way to have more than one environment (KDE and XFCE) ?

dasein

Re: Several graphical environments with no problems

#2 Post by dasein »

Visual "clutter" is not the same thing as a genuine problem. Yes, when you install multiple DEs, you get redundant applications, but that doesn't qualify as "unsafe"--merely a bit messy.

If you want to experiment with multiple DEs without the attendant clutter, your best bet is to install each DE in its own virtual machine. Alternately, you can edit the various menu entries for the various DE-specific applications to render them invisible in the other DE(s), but that option can be a bit labor-intensive.

stevepusser

Re: Several graphical environments with no problems

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, it's possible, but often will take some manual tweaking between the two environments. I have a respin of the Jessie-based MX 16 ISO which has the Jessie 4.14 KDE 4 and a backported XFCE 4 4.12 on the same Live ISO, and they both work just fine, IMO--but like I said, it did take some configuring. You can try it out on a Live DVD, USB, or in Virtual Box (it's VBox-ready): http://mxrepo.com/snapshots/Community_Respins/

The 64-bit version was uploaded as the MX-16_KDE_added.zip file, for some odd reason.
MX Linux packager and developer