Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

initially no sound after hibernation

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
morgon

initially no sound after hibernation

#1 Post by morgon »

Hi,

for some time now I have had a slightly irritating problem that I have absolutely no idea how to attack...

I run gnome-shell (3.18.1) and pulseaudio (9.0-5). What happens is that whenever I hibernate my system (via "systemctl hibernate") and turn my system on again there is no sound at first. To get the sound back all I have to do is to open the gnome-shell system-preference dialog. I change absolutely nothing there, I don't even navigate to sound-settings section. All I do is to open the preference dialog and close it - presto sound works. But as long as I don't do that the system is mute.

Evidently what I want is a system where the sould works straight away after coming back from hibernation.

Could somebody give me some hint on how to achieve this?

Many thanks!

Thorny

Re: initially no sound after hibernation

#2 Post by Thorny »

morgon wrote: for some time now I have had a slightly irritating problem that I have absolutely no idea how to attack...
Could somebody give me some hint on how to achieve this?
Somehow your system has become a system with different versions of the gnome-shell and pulseaudio than the ones available for Debian. You will know better than anyone else how that might have happened. Has it been a while since you did an update? What version of Debian are you trying to track, you didn't mention that in your OP?

Code: Select all

Package gnome-shell

jessie (stable) (gnome): graphical shell for the GNOME desktop
    3.14.4-1~deb8u1: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mipsel powerpc ppc64el s390x
    stretch (testing) (gnome): graphical shell for the GNOME desktop
    3.22.3-3: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mips64el mipsel ppc64el s390x 

Package pulseaudio

jessie (stable) (sound): PulseAudio sound server
    5.0-13: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mipsel powerpc ppc64el s390x
    jessie-backports (sound): PulseAudio sound server
    7.1-2~bpo8+1: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc ppc64el s390x
    stretch (testing) (sound): PulseAudio sound server
    10.0-1: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mips64el mipsel ppc64el s390x 

morgon

Re: initially no sound after hibernation

#3 Post by morgon »

I run testing, but I only update individual packages whenever I see a real need for it so over time of course I evolve away from what you would get with a fresh install.