Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stretch / nvidia : can't connect to xserver

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
fritsk

Re: Stretch / nvidia : can't connect to xserver

#16 Post by fritsk »

Ok, the saga continues :(
The /usr/src/linux was pointing to something wrong which was fixed by the m-a invocation above.
This didn't help though.

Then I started fooling around with Xwrapper.config.
Nothing seemed to help, but the following (non-default) combo produces an extra error:
allowed_users=anybody
needs_root_rights=no

namely (for other computer so no cut'n paste):
xf86enableioports : failed to set IOPL for I/O

I suspect my only recourse is a full install. I'll wait a few weeks until stretch has promoted to stable and then just zap everything. That should also get rid of any rot created over the last 6 years of applying updates.

Back to nouveau again 8)

neodeb

Re: Stretch / nvidia : can't connect to xserver

#17 Post by neodeb »

ADDENDUM: Fixed in upgrades. See topic link below.

I had nvidia install (and work on Deb 9.0 stable) via a sysvinit boot option. Try nomodeset single over the sysvinit GRUB menu choice. Use "e" to edit them in at the end of the boot line. Then install nvidia (shutdoown all the way and do all that a second time as needed).

Code: Select all

sgfxi -d
works if you don't want to figure out the changing steps to the debian (auto upgradeable) way of installing nvidia. sgfx -ddoes the same thing.

cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/sgfxi && chmod +x sgfxi && sgfxi -d

/usr/local/sgfxi -d 
after booting.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 09#p647911
Open is freedom.