Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Totem can't playback, throws: Internal Data Stream Error

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
stevepusser

Re: Totem can't playback, throws: Internal Data Stream Error

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Sorry,I don't have much interest in gstreamer or Totem, and don't have Stretch installed as of yet. I can get full vaapi acceleration with my sixth-generation Skylake graphics using a backported mpv or a homebrewed QMPlay2; 4K h.264 mp4 videos show the same 3% cpu use as do 320x240 videos. This is with a lot of backports on top of a Jessie base, so I suppose a Stretch system should behave in the same way.
MX Linux packager and developer

manmath

#17 Post by manmath »

stevepusser wrote:Sorry,I don't have much interest in gstreamer or Totem, and don't have Stretch installed as of yet. I can get full vaapi acceleration with my sixth-generation Skylake graphics using a backported mpv or a homebrewed QMPlay2; 4K h.264 mp4 videos show the same 3% cpu use as do 320x240 videos. This is with a lot of backports on top of a Jessie base, so I suppose a Stretch system should behave in the same way.
I also installed mpv. With hwdec=vaapi option in the mpv.conf, video acceleration works as desired, cpu usage swings from 2% to 6% no matter what type of video I play ranging from 240p to 1080p. CPU is a lot cooler now.

phenest

#18 Post by phenest »

MPV is awesome! I use OpenGL for acceleration as vdpau causes intermittent flickering. I only use Totem for interactive DVD's.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

manmath

#19 Post by manmath »

phenest wrote:MPV is awesome! I use OpenGL for acceleration as vdpau causes intermittent flickering. I only use Totem for interactive DVD's.
I will do the same. But it puzzles me why such a shitty media player Totem is still bundled as the default media player in the major distributions.

phenest

#20 Post by phenest »

It's developed by Gnome.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

manmath

#21 Post by manmath »

phenest wrote:It's developed by Gnome.
Ok. This is not the first time I had this issue with Totem, now and then I've experienced since video acceleration came to being, maybe from G45 chipset onwards. Filed a bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101226
Let's hope Gnome people resolves this issue.