Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Feedback - Sound quality?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
HextorBRX

Feedback - Sound quality?

#1 Post by HextorBRX »

Hello

My main concern about Linux is the sound because I have read a lot about issues related to pulseaudio.

What is your experience with Debian and how would you rate the sound quality in comparison with Windows 10? I intend to watch various TV channels, movies and use Discord on my Linux partition.

Thanks for your feedback.

P.S. I know the basics because I have installed Debian on a few computers so you can talk Linux, no problem.
Last edited by HextorBRX on 2017-06-21 07:21, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Feedback - Sound quality?

#2 Post by 1624 »

HextorBRX wrote:Hello

My main concern about Linux is the sound because I have read a lot about issues related to pulseaudio.

What is your experience with Debian and how would you rate the sound quality as compared to Windows 10? I intend to watch various TV channels, movies and use Discord on my Linux partition.

P.S. I know the basics because I have installed Debian on a few computers so you can talk Linux, no problem.
Linux sound is just fine. Pulseaudio is ok for randome noises to me (YouTube etc...)

I like ALSA. I have Pulseaudio installed and i think it is use on Firefox. No problem yet. If there is any, i will purge that. :)

I have set pulse to:

flat-volumes = no

default-sample-format = s24le
default-sample-rate = 48000
alternate-sample-rate = 48000
default-sample-channels = 2

Audacious --> FLAC --> ALSA ---> M-Audio 2496 --> Analog 2-channel output RCA --> Pioneer A400X, sounds great to my ears.
VLC --> AC3 --> ALSA ---> M-Audio 2496 --> Analog 2-channel output RCA --> Pioneer A400X.

Windows 10 is no go. There is no drivers to soundcard, so i can't compare. On Windows, use ASIO ;)
Debian 11 Bullseye XFCE 64-bit
HP Z230 Workstation

Nili

#3 Post by Nili »

HextorBRX wrote:Hello

What is your experience with Debian and how would you rate the sound quality in comparison with Windows 10? I intend to watch various TV channels, movies and use Discord on my Linux partition.

ALSA always on charge for me. Plain and Simple.

Code: Select all

apt-get install alsa-utils --no-install-recommends
I do this on any clean (netinst) installation. Keybind "M" (mute/unmute) the sound. In default is Muted, just hit "M" for Master sound to be actived.

I don't install any other mixer because while the road things may go complicated.

Haven't get any Windows 10 yet but i have a Windows 7, To tell the truth (my opinion) Windows have better sound system. Not because of Linux fault, I think the driver supports that comes for Windows is more primary. At least it looks like my ears or headphones hear better sound on Windows :)

ALSA on Linux Debian my personal preference.

Regards!
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Slightly OT -
1624 wrote:Windows 10 is no go. There is no drivers to soundcard, so i can't compare. On Windows, use ASIO ;)
I have M-Audio 2496 also. Win 8.1 driver works for me in Win 10 but Win 8 or 7 drivers don't.

Back to topic. Pulseaudio won't sound any different than using ALSA without it as Pulse is basically a front end for ALSA. You can't have Pulse without ALSA.
My system sounds great through my ADAM studio monitors. ;) No difference between Win and Linux.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

HextorBRX wrote:My main concern about Linux is the sound
windows often includes sound-enhancing proprietary post-processing software, like dolby, DTS etc.
linux does not have that, and that can be confusing in the beginning.
for me the solution was to get a pair of decent speakers with bass and treble knobs.
but software solutions exist for pulseaudio (equalizers at least).
btw, pulseaudio has gotten much better since around 10 years ago (that's where those rumours you heard came from).
but i still use plain alsa.