Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

flash player for Debian 9

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
kalle123

Re: flash player for Debian 9

#31 Post by kalle123 »

SilvioTO wrote:The package flashplugin-nonfree is not present in official stretch repositories:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all
Not in stretch, but hopefully it will show up in future ....

https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... in-nonfree

tsekman

#32 Post by tsekman »

hi, this is how i t worked with me..

chromium Version 59.0.3071.86 (Developer Build) built on Debian 9.0, running on Debian 9.0 (64-bit)
adobe flash player Version 26.0.0.131 flash_player_ppapi_linux.x86_64.tar.gz

after following the instructions on the README file, i created the folder usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin and copy all downloaded files there.
however nothing happened.

so... i make some changes

cat /etc/chromium.d/pepperflashplugin-nonfree
#flashso="/usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/libpepflashplayer.so"
flashso="/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libpepflashplayer.so"
flashversion=`strings $flashso 2> /dev/null | grep LNX | cut -d ' ' -f 2 | sed -e "s/,/./g"`
CHROMIUM_FLAGS="$CHROMIUM_FLAGS --ppapi-flash-path=$flashso --ppapi-flash-version=$flashversion"

and worked. i dont know if there are security issues by making that change to the path. hope not.

Eck

#33 Post by Eck »

What about freshplayer? aptitude install browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash? Flash works for me, and there's a wiki.debian.org entry for it, but it describes compiling it. Unnecessary now since it in the repos.
Lenovo z560 Laptop Nvidia GeForce 310m Hitachi 500GB HD Intel HD Audio 4GB RAM

stevepusser

#34 Post by stevepusser »

Freshplayer is a wrapper for some browsers to use pepperflash. The Debian installer, pepperflashplugin-nonfree, is not in Stretch and only has an amd64 version upstream. When I looked at it, the problem for 32-bit was trivial to fix, so I guess Debian doesn't care that much about it. The fixed version in in the MX repos: http://iso.mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/non- ... n-nonfree/

Though we haven't tested it since we switched over to the package that actually contains the binary files from Adobe. Adobe could break the downloader anytime they feel like it.

Bunsen-pepperflash from Bunsen Labs also works to download pepperflash.
MX Linux packager and developer

dasein

#35 Post by dasein »

Lysander wrote:What is strange is that Chromium and FF both have very good Flash, whereas in Opera and Vivaldi it still works, but not as well. From what I can tell, Chromium/FF are pointed at a different version of the plugin.
Not as strange as it seems, and not necessarily a sign that two different plugins are in use, as anyone who remembers startling historical differences in Flash performance between Chome and Firefox can attest.

Adobe's Flash player operates by creating a javascript "virtual machine" in which the content plays. Particularly with streamed content, the performance of this VM (including and in particular the JS interpreter) serves as the primary limiting factor on overall performance.

tl;dr: Flash performance is profoundly client-specific.

tsekman

#36 Post by tsekman »

stevepusser wrote:Freshplayer is a wrapper for some browsers to use pepperflash. The Debian installer, pepperflashplugin-nonfree, is not in Stretch and only has an amd64 version upstream. When I looked at it, the problem for 32-bit was trivial to fix, so I guess Debian doesn't care that much about it. The fixed version in in the MX repos: http://iso.mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/non- ... n-nonfree/

Though we haven't tested it since we switched over to the package that actually contains the binary files from Adobe. Adobe could break the downloader anytime they feel like it.

Bunsen-pepperflash from Bunsen Labs also works to download pepperflash.
Thanks, i download pepperflash from mx repos and works fine!

tommyp

#37 Post by tommyp »

I'm not sure if this helps, or if someone wants to create something for a repo... here's a little set of commands to update the flash. I suppose this can be used in the /usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree file. Anyway, the code below parses the adobe site, downloads the npapi.tar.gz, untars it and chmods it. I'm a noob but hopefully someone can make something decent out of it. Cheers

Code: Select all

NPAPIUpstream=$(wget -qO- https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ | grep Linux -A10 | grep NPAPI -A2 | grep -Eo [0-9.]+)
Arch=$(dpkg --print-architecture | sed 's/amd64/x86_64/')
wget https://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/$NPAPIUpstream/flash_player_npapi_linux.$Arch.tar.gz
tar zxfO flash_player_npapi_linux.x86_64.tar.gz libflashplayer.so > /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
chmod 644 /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
update-alternatives --quiet --install /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flash-mozilla.so flash-mozilla.so /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so 50

stevepusser

#38 Post by stevepusser »

We included a script in our modified MX version of flashplugin-nonfree that does the same thing; it's called "update-flashplugin-nonfree-direct", which was our workaround for the broken Debian version. I believe it's still working, but we don't plan to fix it again if Adobe changes the download address again.

milomak

#39 Post by milomak »

Lysander wrote:Well, not quite time for me to eat humble pie yet.

I checked the logs and I did indeed manually install Pepperflash, though several hours after installing Chromium. This makes me think that I probably installed Chromium, checked Flash was working and then went on to do other things [since Flash is the only reason I installed Chromium].

So just now as an experiment I uninstalled Pepperflash and uninstalled the .deb Flash package again - Flash still works in Chromium, though nothing else. I can only assume that it's bundled in, as I read.

The only other mention of Chrome in the logs is chrome-gnome-shell:amd64 , but that's something different, from what I can gather.
when you say manually, do you mean you installed the packages via apt/aptitude

see for instance what is available

# dpkg -l | grep chromium
ii  chromium                                    59.0.3071.104-1                      amd64        web browser
ii  flashplayer-chromium                        26.0.0.137-dmo1                      amd64        Flash Player for Chromium (Pepper)
# aptitude search pepper | grep flash
p  browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash - PPAPI-host NPAPI-plugin adapter for pepperflash
p  browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash:i386 - PPAPI-host NPAPI-plugin adapter for pepperflash
p  pepperflashplugin-nonfree - Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

stevepusser

#40 Post by stevepusser »

Well, yes, flashplayer-chromium is a deb-multimedia package which contains the actual binaries, not a Debian package.

Grell

#41 Post by Grell »

So how can I get rid of that annoying panel that shows up telling me flash is out of date and I need to click the "Run this time" button on every site that requires flash?

Bulkley

#42 Post by Bulkley »

Are you guys really sure you need Flash? I have difficulty remembering when I last used it. I have a prefbar extension with a check box for Flash so it is easy to turn on or off. For a long time it has been off. HTML5 is making Flash redundant.

av88p

#43 Post by av88p »

I need flash for listening to internet radio stations, which uses flash player for free account. Playlist files are paid on them. Only this reason.
It is interesting what these stations would do, if flash would end.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#44 Post by sunrat »

Grell wrote:So how can I get rid of that annoying panel that shows up telling me flash is out of date and I need to click the "Run this time" button on every site that requires flash?
Update Flash when you see that message.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Bulkley

#45 Post by Bulkley »

av88p wrote:I need flash for listening to internet radio stations, which uses flash player for free account. Playlist files are paid on them. Only this reason.
I understand that however there is often a way around it. I listen to BBC, CBC, ABC (Australia), Radio New Zealand without flash by using their streaming URLs. I use Radiotray to play them. A streaming URL looks like this:

http://bbcwssc.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcwssc_mp1_ws-einws
It can be tricky to find these streaming URLs. If you would like some links and hints I can post them.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#46 Post by None1975 »

Flash & The Future of Interactive Content
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#47 Post by sunrat »

None1975 wrote:Flash & The Future of Interactive Content
???
See http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134061
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#48 Post by None1975 »

sunrat wrote:???
Sorry. My mistake.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

stevepusser

#49 Post by stevepusser »

For those still doing manual updates of the plugin, there has been a security update to 26.0.0.151.

Lysander

#50 Post by Lysander »

stevepusser wrote:For those still doing manual updates of the plugin, there has been a security update to 26.0.0.151.
Thanks Steve. At the risk of reigniting an old debate, I reinstalled Stretch on Sunday and did not install any Flash player, however, having installed Chromium, Flash worked perfectly. It did not work, however, in Opera, so I installed your plugin.

As a separate issue, I'm getting HTML5 tearing in Opera, but that's not a Flash issue, I'm aware. I'll look into it though this says something about it

https://forum.voidlinux.eu/t/why-dont-c ... aring/3200