MATE Move files using mouse

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

MATE Move files using mouse

Postby TonyT » 2017-06-23 22:26

In Gnome 2 one could use the middle mouse button + drag to move files from one directory to another. Upon releasing the button the context menu has a "Move" selection. MATE doesn't have such a feature. Instead I must use cut+paste. Is there any way to get "move" in a context menu? Perhaps a Caja plugin?
TonyT

Re: MATE Move files using mouse

Postby kreemoweet » 2017-06-26 06:06

In my version of Caja, moving seems to be the default action when dragging&dropping a file. To get an actual menu item, you could put a MoveTo script file in the
Caja scripts folder. "MoveTo" would then appear in the Scripts submenu of any file's context menu.

This is the one I have, using zenity because I found matedialog to be less than satisfactory:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
DESTINATION=$(zenity --title="Select a folder" --file-selection --directory)
OLDIFS=$IFS
IFS=$'\n'
for FILE in $CAJA_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS
do
mv -i "$FILE" "$DESTINATION"
done
IFS=$OLDIFS
kreemoweet

Re: MATE Move files using mouse

Postby TonyT » 2017-06-26 13:09

kreemoweet wrote:In my version of Caja, moving seems to be the default action when dragging&dropping a file. To get an actual menu item, you could put a MoveTo script file in the
Caja scripts folder. "MoveTo" would then appear in the Scripts submenu of any file's context menu.

This is the one I have, using zenity because I found matedialog to be less than satisfactory:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
DESTINATION=$(zenity --title="Select a folder" --file-selection --directory)
OLDIFS=$IFS
IFS=$'\n'
for FILE in $CAJA_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS
do
mv -i "$FILE" "$DESTINATION"
done
IFS=$OLDIFS

Thanks. Yes, on my MATE, rt clicking any file will popup the context menu with Move to >. But I am referring to drag+drop context menu. In Gnome2, drag using the middle mouse button, upon release, pops up a context menu, but MATE does not have that functionality.

By default, left mouse button drag+drop moves a file when the destination is on the same partition. But if the destination is on a different partition the the file gets copied, not moved. What I seek is to have a choice to copy or move, using the middle mouse button drag+drop because right mouse button drag+drop does not exist.
TonyT

Return to Desktop & Multimedia