Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] XFCE can't select wallpaper

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
rick71

[Solved] XFCE can't select wallpaper

#1 Post by rick71 »

I am using Debian Stretch 64 bit fully updated from Jessie.
When I try to select wallpaper from Desktop Settings/Background I can see pictures in the dialog box, but they are grayed out. I cannot select them. I have checked permissions. In LXDE, I am able to set the wall paper.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this?

EDIT: I put pictures in the system wide folder /usr/share/images/desktop-base, but this shouldn't be necessary.

furquan

Re: XFCE can't select wallpaper

#2 Post by furquan »

rick71 wrote:I am using Debian Stretch 64 bit fully updated from Jessie.
When I try to select wallpaper from Desktop Settings/Background I can see pictures in the dialog box, but they are grayed out. I cannot select them. I have checked permissions. In LXDE, I am able to set the wall paper.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this?

EDIT: I put pictures in the system wide folder /usr/share/images/desktop-base, but this shouldn't be necessary.
What folder have you put the images in? If I am correct you should be able to select the location in the GUI itself.

If you are talking about this then I'd like to clarify that the dialog you see is not for selecting the images themselves rather only the location. It might not be apparent at first but if you want to select "Wallpaper Foo" located in "~/foo/Pictures" as your background image then you need to select the "~/foo/Pictures" directory from the dialog not the Wallpaper itself. Once you do this you'll see all the pictures located in the directory being listed in the Backgrounds dialog.

And would you mind posting a screenshot of the Background dialog? Also do post the output of ls -l on the folder where the images are located (usually /usr/share/backgrounds).
The source code for the kernel, library, etc. should fit on one diskette. Sources for the GNU utilities will vary (and will be big). The sources to GNU emacs will take at least 3 disks. -- Theodore Ts'o, 1992 (distributing the first Linux disks)

JmaCWQ

Re: XFCE can't select wallpaper

#3 Post by JmaCWQ »

When you get to where you see them greyed-out, click 'Open' down on the bottom right.
It should then load the thumbnails from that folder for selection.
Do big things....

rick71

(Solved) Re: XFCE can't select wallpaper

#4 Post by rick71 »

Thanks for the help. I wasn’t using the utility properly. I wasn't using the Open button. All fine now.

JmaCWQ

Re: [Solved] XFCE can't select wallpaper

#5 Post by JmaCWQ »

You're welcome.
It can be a little tricky first time 8)
Do big things....