Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

External monitor not displaying correctly Jessie

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
tranhl

External monitor not displaying correctly Jessie

#1 Post by tranhl »

I'm trying to set up my Macbook Pro 9,1 (mid 2012) to behave the way I want it to when plugging in and booting with an external monitor connected (via mini DisplayPort).
This is the behaviour that I'm looking to achieve with external monitors:
  • 1. When the external monitor is connected, display screen to both the laptop monitor and external monitor at each monitor's full resolution. The external monitor should mirror the primary display.
  • 2. When the laptop lid is closed with the external monitor connected, the laptop should remain on and the external monitor should still work.
  • 3. When the laptop lid is closed without the external monitor connected, the laptop should suspend itself.
I am currently experiencing difficulties getting any of these three requirements to work automatically without manual configuration.
My first issue is that if the external monitor is connected to the laptop before boot, it will boot to a black screen on both. Booting the Macbook with the external monitor disconnected fixes this issue.

My second issue is that after boot, upon connecting the external monitor for the first time, the primary screen's (laptop monitor) resolution drops. Please refer to these images (http://imgur.com/a/ovFy3) to see exactly what I'm talking about. Additionally, the external monitor does not seem to receive any signal from the laptop the first time the monitor is connected, and remains blank. Fixing this issue requires me to disconnect and then reconnect the external monitor. Doing this will correct the resolution issues of the primary monitor, as well as fixes the secondary monitor to correctly display. If I disconnect and reconnect the external monitor a third time, everything goes blank and no amount of reconnecting will fix it.

My third issue is that closing the laptop lid will suspend the laptop, turning off both the laptop monitor and the external monitor. When opening the lid again, the laptop monitor and external monitor remain blank, and reconnecting the external monitor does not seem to fix this issue.

I am open to any suggestions at this point, as I'm not knowledgeable enough to be able to solve this problem myself.

This is my current Xorg config:

Code: Select all

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      1  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default