Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to change GNOME panel font size

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
debConvert

How to change GNOME panel font size

#1 Post by debConvert »

I'm trying to decrease the panel font size in GNOME 3 -- the top bar that starts with "Applications". I'm running Debian 9 (Stretch) and have tried multiple edits to /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-classic.css, Gnome Color Chooser, and dconf-editor. Any suggestions? Thanks.

HuangLao

Re: How to change GNOME panel font size

#2 Post by HuangLao »

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

Ok well, thanks ,
I can't help much on this at all, I stopped using Gnome 2 years ago.
All though doing some searches either first, or while waiting might
turn up something.
Since both Debian 9 and the Gnome are very recent, new release, etc.
It may be more complicated, and not much in the search results, in any event
we do have some "Gnome experts" on the forum, if the OP is not in any hurry,
I am sure some one can and will be able to help.
So really all I can is say, be patient, and give it few days, some one probably
can and will help.
But some of the things that worked on older versions, and are in the search results might work, and be a faster solution. I would try that first.
Also welcome to the forum "debConvert", I do hope we can help you.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Just a note, it kind of looks like the OP has tried what the first hit in
the results say, they may have done some searches.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Show us what changes you actually made, post the code in code boxes,..
Proof read your changes, very closely, one little typo could be the problem.
For those that may be able to help, it will help them help you, to see the changes
you made.

debConvert

#5 Post by debConvert »

Thanks for the welcome and the search suggestions. I always try to be respective of the communities' time and search first. There's not much on panel font size specifically (more often it's about the font color), and what I've found usually says to edit the .css file. Among other things, I tried adding "font-size: 9pt;" to the #panel and panel-button blocks, but nothing has worked.

So if someone in the community can help raise my GNOME knowledge, it'll be appreciated. Changing the panel font size was pretty straight-forward in XFCE, but I'm stumped in GNOME.

pylkko

#6 Post by pylkko »

scaling factor appears to change that, but of course, since it is a "scaling factor" it changes quite some other things also :)

debConvert

#7 Post by debConvert »

@pylkko, thanks. I had previously changed the scaling factor, but as you said, it altered too many other things. So I went back to the default value.

pylkko

#8 Post by pylkko »

I am pretty sure that it has to be doable somehow as people make their own gnome "looks" and I am almost sure that there are some that change the properties of the panel you speak. what xml or css file and property needs to be change I don't know but maybe you could ask some one that makes one of those GNOME looks, or try to find one that already does that for you.

https://www.gnome-look.org

furquan

#9 Post by furquan »

The font size is not meant to be changed by hand and is set by the shell theme and that's why you don't see such option in the tweak-tool. I'm sure you have tried changing the font yourself but much like dconf-configurations, this is a matter of hit and trial.

The Ubuntu community might look inept and hostile to configuration but some have a good deal of information: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/chan ... shell-font

Make sure to back-up the relevant files first. When I was a GNOME-newbie and was using the default shell-theme, this is what helped me change the font. I'm not saying that it will work for you but it is worth a try nevertheless.

On a side note, you might try using a different shell theme. Because a shell theme can make all the difference :-)

I hope this helps.
The source code for the kernel, library, etc. should fit on one diskette. Sources for the GNU utilities will vary (and will be big). The sources to GNU emacs will take at least 3 disks. -- Theodore Ts'o, 1992 (distributing the first Linux disks)