Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Updating to buster (just KDE packages)

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
bester69

Updating to buster (just KDE packages)

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,
Is there much problem if i update just the KDE-plasma packages to buster??

I just took a btrfs system snapshoot just in case, and updated the kde packages to buster-testing, this means updating from KDE 5.8.6 (stable) to KDE 5.8.7 (Testing), the rest of system packages, at the moment, im gonna keep them in stable, but i'd like to be in testing for KDE desktop. Is this reasonable?, can i get myself in much troubles??

At the moment i dont see any problem with this operation of mixing some controlled packages; KDE 5.8.7 is not a mayor version but a new LTS Bugfix released. I will apreciate any comment and suggestion.

thanks.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

deborah-and-ian

Re: Updating to buster (just KDE packages)

#2 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Imagine the following scenario:
Testing goes to a much higher version in a few months. Stable gets a new security fix for KDE. You can't update to the new KDE in Testing without updating much of the system and possibly breaking it. But you can't also downgrade to the new security packages in Stable. Your system is vulnerable and also hart to salvage.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

wizard10000 wrote:No disrespect, but I'm not sure why you even ask.

Is mixing Testing and Stable a bad idea? Probably - and you know that's the standard answer here.

Are you gonna do it anyway? Probably.

If I were you I'd give some serious thought to migrating to Neon. Latest KDE on a stable base, and if you want to make the base a little less stable there are all kinds of PPA you can add :)
Hi Wizard,

Thanks for answering,
Neon is based on ubuntu, and I got used to debian, I dont want to learn others linux like ubuntu, as they didnt convince me in the way debian did.
I will stay in debian , I guess they'll backport some later kde versions eventually. Im guessing, As it's the same mayor version (5.8.x), it should not exist any problem by mixing those testing packages; at lest, as long as they share same mayor version. We'll see..

Now I've already updated to KDE LTS BugFix released 5.8.7
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#4 Post by bester69 »

deborah-and-ian wrote:Imagine the following scenario:
Testing goes to a much higher version in a few months. Stable gets a new security fix for KDE. You can't update to the new KDE in Testing without updating much of the system and possibly breaking it. But you can't also downgrade to the new security packages in Stable. Your system is vulnerable and also hart to salvage.
Im planning to move on testing within six months or so when testing is more advanced and stable. Until then, i thought i woudlnt be a bad idea go using testing KDE's packages.

The good thing in my case, is that i can play secure by using btrfs's snapshoots; I can migrate to testing, tests all my apps and system for a while, and if im not convinced, do a rollback in five minits.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Hmmm--if you like flashy eye candy with a million configuration options, compiz-reloaded will keep you occupied and out of trouble for a long time, though I'm not sure how it will run on a Plasma desktop. There's even a plugin to put .obj models inside the cube--I found old threads where people had animated giant spiders in there, though all the links to the files seem long dead.
MX Linux packager and developer

deborah-and-ian

#6 Post by deborah-and-ian »

stevepusser wrote:Hmmm--if you like flashy eye candy with a million configuration options, compiz-reloaded will keep you occupied and out of trouble for a long time, though I'm not sure how it will run on a Plasma desktop.
Sorry, but that seems like a really hacky idea. The Plasma Desktop already has a very configurable compositor which has all the features of Compiz. Why would anyone instead circumvent this and install Compiz, a piece of software which has essentially been bitrotting for ages (sans being bug fixed for Unity 7 of course) and just recently been raised from the dead?

bester69, yes, the idea with upgrading the entire system to Testing when it's moved on would be better. You may even try out Sid, as in the early stages of Testing, the system will often be as unstable as Sid, but Sid actually gets bug fixes faster.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

bester69

#7 Post by bester69 »

Ive found Netrunner:
http://www.netrunner.com/download/
Version Debian Snapshot 2017.05.30 · Plasma 5.10
Size 2.2 GB

I think i might try to add netrunner repost to instal 5.10 or just install this distro before moving to testing.

pylkko

#8 Post by pylkko »

Isn't there a KDE flatpak or snap that you can just install on anything?

bester69

#9 Post by bester69 »

Good News!

I got to upgrade to KDE 5.9 with success, I used Testing Netrunner-backport respositories against Stretch.

If someone is interested the sources list would be like that:

Code: Select all

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free 
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free 

#NetRunner KDE5.9 (Testing Netrunner-backport)
deb http://deb.netrunner.com/dci/packages/netrunner/ netrunner-backports backports calamares ds9-artwork ds9-common extras frameworks kde-applications netrunner-desktop netrunner plasma plasmazilla qt5 

Steve, do you dare to backport KDE 5.9 or 5.10 to MEPIX? :) :o

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

We haven't really started on a Stretch-based MX 17 yet. If I were to try, I'd try it first in a Stretch repo on the openSUSE build service, which is some ways is much faster and easier than doing it on my own machine.

Also, try surfing into the Netrunner repo like we can for the Debian ones. I can't, so can't borrow whatever tricks they may have needed for their backports.
MX Linux packager and developer