Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Shell extension won't install

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Onsemeliot

Shell extension won't install

#1 Post by Onsemeliot »

I just wanted to add a Gnome extension to hide the title bar in normal view. Because Firefox has obviously stopped supporting the Gnome extension code I had to install Chromium, but even if I get the switch on/off browser buttons there the button just switches back after I started the installation process with it. I do not get an error. Is this something to be checked at Debian level or should I try to find help from the Gnome project?

pylkko

Re: Shell extension won't install

#2 Post by pylkko »

I don't know if it is what you want but there is a package in Debian itself that is called gnome-shell-extension-autohidetopbar that

Code: Select all

GNOME shell automatic topbar hider

This gnome-shell extension automatically hides the topbar, except in overview. There is also an option to show the topbar when the mouse pointer approaches the edge of the screen.

Please note that you have to manually enable the extension, for example using gnome-tweak-tool
If you install an extension from outside of Debian, from Gnome's own website or some such thing, you have to make sure that the extension was designed for gnome 3.22 that Debian comes with. I believe the browser applet just installs it for you, but you can always manually download the zip and install it from gnome's "extra settings", also known as gnome-tweak-tool.

If you already installed it, but it does not work, it also might be that it requires you to restart Gnome. I believe this is the case with some extensions.

Zjho

#3 Post by Zjho »

Still able to manage Gnome shell extensions with Firefox for Stretch here.
On Firefox start-up, prompted by clicking the Get More Extensions button in Tweak Tool, there is a Firefox window that asks if it is okay to allow installation of a program and this must be allowed for accessing shell extensions via Gnome.org site. A Gnome shell integration plugin is needed and if i recall correctly another piece of connector software that doesn't seem to work through all browsers yet, such as Chrome. Not tried Chromium to date.

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

You need to install a package in addition to the browser for it to work.

Lysander

#5 Post by Lysander »

Why make a new thread for this - this could easily have followed on in your last.

Anyway, you did not confirm that you have installed cmake. You need to do that in order to be able to install extensions.

Onsemeliot

#6 Post by Onsemeliot »

pylkko wrote:gnome-shell-extension-autohidetopbar
Thanks for the tipp. Somehow I must have overlooked that. But I wasn't able to use the GNOME extension search bar on the GNOME site anyway since I always got no result or no filter what so ever.
Lysander wrote:you did not confirm that you have installed cmake.
Sorry, it actually was installed.

I begin to wonder if I should give GNOME an other try before I adjust the not so minimalistic looking LXDE. I prefer simple, clean layouts with little clutter. But when I was typing email and deleted some chars it always took some time before it did display what I've just done. The display was clearly lagging behind. This made it hard to efficiently work in Stretch with GNOME. But maybe this wasn't an issue of GNOME itself at all but a consequence of a broken Install I ended up with when trying to adjust things which didn't work as expected when I installed Stretch from the live image. I expect GNOME didn't get considerably heavier since Jessie and I quite liked some of the new features which do make the GNOME interface even cleaner than in Jessie.

pylkko

#7 Post by pylkko »

Thanks for the tipp. Somehow I must have overlooked that. But I wasn't able to use the GNOME extension search bar on the GNOME site anyway since I always got no result or no filter what so ever.
notice that this package is not from the internet site. It is from Debian. personally, I would always first look to see if the package is in Debian before using some third-party Internet page. Some of the extensions on such sites are not properly maintained or are written in quite amateurish ways, whereas the extensions that you can install wit apt from Debian are curated, at least in theory, by Debian developers. Another thing is that if it is installed with apt it is easier to uninstall or update.

Code: Select all

apt install gnome-shell-extension-autohidetopbar

Onsemeliot

#8 Post by Onsemeliot »

pylkko wrote:personally, I would always first look to see if the package is in Debian
Me too. Unfortunately, I didn't expect that GNOME extensions would be available through the package management. Thanks again, now I know.