Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Howto install Gnome extensions in Stretch?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Onsemeliot

Howto install Gnome extensions in Stretch?

#1 Post by Onsemeliot »

I can't install any GNOME extensions in my newly set up Stretch system. I want to use Panel Settings, but Firefox didn't even show the install links originally. Therefore, I installed Chromium. It did show the installation button, but when I hit it I got the question if I want to allow this installation and it did set the "on" button to "off" right away.

I tried to use the new "Software" tool too, but with the same result.

I removed Chromium again and re-installed the "chrome-gnome-shell". Firefox does show me the buttons and doesn't switch back to "off" after hitting the "on" button. But unfortunately neither the panel nor the tweak tool shows any indication of this extension.

Lysander

Re: Howto install Gnome extensions in Stretch?

#2 Post by Lysander »

Have you got cmake installed?

Code: Select all

sudo apt install cmake
And you'll want to be using the GNOME extension plug-in with Chromium after all rather than FF.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Have you got the Gnome shell integration extension for Firefox?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... tegration/

Seems there have been changes with Firefox 52 (Stretch now has ESR 52.)

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/01/inst ... fox-chrome

PhilGil

#4 Post by PhilGil »

Panel Settings isn't compatible with Gnome Shell 3.22. If you look on the github page there hasn't been a commit since 2012: https://github.com/eddiefullmetal/gnome ... extensions.

When looking for extensions on the web page, be sure you set your compatibility parameter to "current version"

Onsemeliot

#5 Post by Onsemeliot »

Thank you for your replies. I do not insist on installing extensions via any browser. But I would like an option to hide the top panel when not needed. I am surprised that this is still not included in the tweaks tool in one or the other way in GNOME 3.22.2 and that no other still functional extension covers that functionality.

Zjho

#6 Post by Zjho »

Have a look around at some of the other extension. Taskbar, for instance, allows for switching the top panel on or off.

Lysander

#7 Post by Lysander »

Zjho wrote:Have a look around at some of the other extension. Taskbar, for instance, allows for switching the top panel on or off.
Just checked that out, should give the OP what he's looking for. I like the top panel myself.

Onsemeliot

#8 Post by Onsemeliot »

Thank you for your thoughts. I need to admit in the mean time I changed to LXDE for the moment. My hardware is rather old and therefore this desktop environment runs considerably smoother. I might come back to GNOME if I can't sort out the details I highly value in LXDE ...

PhilGil

#9 Post by PhilGil »

Onsemeliot wrote:Thank you for your thoughts. I need to admit in the mean time I changed to LXDE for the moment. My hardware is rather old and therefore this desktop environment runs considerably smoother. I might come back to GNOME if I can't sort out the details I highly value in LXDE ...
It's always worth experimenting with different DE's to find the one that works best for you. I personally have never gotten along with LXDE, and prefer Mate or XFCE when I need a lighter DE.

Just to riff a bit on Gnome Shell extensions, since other users may look to this thread for guidance...

Many of the most popular shell extensions are in the Stretch repository (a lot more than in Jessie), and can be installed just like any other package. For example, the extension Hide Top Bar is just an apt install away, as is Dash-To-Dock, Topicons Plus and many others. Just like with most Debian stable packages, you won't get the cutting edge version, but you get the convenience and security of the repository.

Extensions available on the extensions.gnome.org site can also be installed through the Gnome Software Center in Stretch.

And, of course, extensions.gnome.org continues to work just like it always has.

Onsemeliot

#10 Post by Onsemeliot »

PhilGil wrote:I personally have never gotten along with LXDE, and prefer Mate or XFCE when I need a lighter DE.
I did try MATE once and it didn't convince me (at least not with Ubuntu). But I have to admit that LXDE feels rather wonky compared to GNOME. I should try XFDE at some point. On Lubuntu I encountered issues with the menu that appears when clicking on the networking icon in the task bar. The whole menu vanished when using the mouse to browse through it and sub-menus are shown left of the main menu, but you still need to click the right arrow in order to get to them. I can deal with such things but I wouldn't want to set up systems for other people and expect them to work with such oddities.
Many of the most popular shell extensions are in the Stretch repository
I guess I was just unlucky to search for a extension not included. But the search terms "autohide" and "panel" didn't deliver any options. When searching for alternatives I did get either no result or no filter at all.
And, of course, extensions.gnome.org continues to work just like it always has.
I'm not sure what you mean by that but I was not able to add extensions via Firefox like I used to in the past. But maybe this is because it was an extension not available for my GNOME version. So the error may lie with me.