Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] unreadable icon fonts with Debian 9 Mate

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
rudar

[SOLVED] unreadable icon fonts with Debian 9 Mate

#1 Post by rudar »

Upon my recent upgrade to Debian Stretch, with Mate as DE, my icon fonts have become unreadable, as you can see from this picture:

There is a problem with text next to the icons. I opted for Adwaita theme, because I need to keep the blue background. When I checked with dark themes (like Adwaita Dark or Black Mate) I noticed there was the right contrast, because the icon fonts were written with white letters. However, dark themes do not suit me, and light themes have this issue. So, I need to get white letters on blue background. On my desktop there are no problems, and icons have white fonts.

There is a warning with Adwaita, saying that

This theme will not look as intended because the required window manager theme 'Adwaita' is not installed.

When I tried to change /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

it turned out that

/* Adwaita is the default theme of GTK+ 3, this file is not used */

The desktop I use is

Desktop: MATE 1.16.2 (Gtk 3.22.11-1)

Could you help me, please?

rudar

Re: [SOLVED] unreadable icon fonts with Debian 9 Mate

#2 Post by rudar »

A colleague at another forum has found the solution. Just

Code: Select all

sudo nano ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
and then copy

Code: Select all

.caja-navigation-window .caja-notebook .view {
    background-color: #0080ff;
    color: #ffffff;
}
and restart. After restart, I got this:

and my life is nice again. :)

TonyT

#3 Post by TonyT »

You're welcome to try an Adwaita-like theme I made. Looks and behaves like Adwaita but built against the MATE GTK3 Traditional Green theme. See here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... ta#p639322

rudar

#4 Post by rudar »

Thank you, but I will pass. It looks just too dark to me. A matter of taste, nothing else. Cheers! :)

TonyT

#5 Post by TonyT »

rudar wrote:Thank you, but I will pass. It looks just too dark to me. A matter of taste, nothing else. Cheers! :)
OK. Realize that the panels and background are NOT part of the theme. The theme is the same colors as Adwaita, the light gray.