DM which starts multiple X servers automatically ?

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

DM which starts multiple X servers automatically ?

Postby bashedmuon » 2017-07-12 20:13

Before the upgrade to squeeze, I used to use the KDM display manager, configured to start multiple X servers on startup, reachable on VT7..VT10. This allowed each family member to access its own login / desktop by means of a simple key combination...

Unfortunately, KDM has gone in squeeze, and the only display manager which I managed to provide the same functionality is XDM, which (by default) looks like it's stuck in ~1970, and is rather slow.

Is there any modern DM that provides this functionality in Debian that I've missed (or where I missed the configuration ?) Or can it be implemented by means of a simple shell script or so ?
Its getting rather annoying to have to execute <switch user> 4 times each time the machine is rebooted...
bashedmuon

Re: DM which starts multiple X servers automatically ?

Postby dasein » 2017-07-13 14:13

bashedmuon wrote:Or can it be implemented by means of a simple shell script or so ?

An equally simple Web search suggests that it is indeed possible to establish multiple X sessions via shell script.

Maybe try a few of those existing solutions and if they don't help, post back with specific results for each solution attempted.
dasein

Return to Desktop & Multimedia