Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DM which starts multiple X servers automatically ?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
bashedmuon

DM which starts multiple X servers automatically ?

#1 Post by bashedmuon »

Before the upgrade to squeeze, I used to use the KDM display manager, configured to start multiple X servers on startup, reachable on VT7..VT10. This allowed each family member to access its own login / desktop by means of a simple key combination...

Unfortunately, KDM has gone in squeeze, and the only display manager which I managed to provide the same functionality is XDM, which (by default) looks like it's stuck in ~1970, and is rather slow.

Is there any modern DM that provides this functionality in Debian that I've missed (or where I missed the configuration ?) Or can it be implemented by means of a simple shell script or so ?
Its getting rather annoying to have to execute <switch user> 4 times each time the machine is rebooted...

dasein

Re: DM which starts multiple X servers automatically ?

#2 Post by dasein »

bashedmuon wrote:Or can it be implemented by means of a simple shell script or so ?
An equally simple Web search suggests that it is indeed possible to establish multiple X sessions via shell script.

Maybe try a few of those existing solutions and if they don't help, post back with specific results for each solution attempted.