[SOLVED] Wierd behavior with Pulseaudio and Firefox

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

[SOLVED] Wierd behavior with Pulseaudio and Firefox

Postby ticojohn » 2017-07-14 14:23

I'm running Jessie i386 (up to date), XFCE, gdm3. Just noticed that a pulseaudio audio stream opens as soon as I launch Firefox even though the home page does not have any audio selected to play. Also, as I browse the internet I will get multiple audio streams opened for Firefox. This seems a bit unusual to me. Is anybody else seeing this behavior, or is it just me? If it is just me, does anybody have a suggestion as to what is going on and how I might fix it? If others have the same problem then a bug report may be in order. Thanks for the feedback.

By the way, I do not see similar behavior with the Chromium browser.

UPDATE: It appears that a new Firefox audio stream starts when opening a new tab. Has this always happened? Maybe I just never paid attention before.

UPDATE 2: Well, this is probably just an operator problem. I think it has always happened and I just never noticed. Feel free to comment on my ignorance! LOL! I would delete the post but welcome feedback on this, especially from those that like to give people the dickens. :)
Last edited by ticojohn on 2017-07-14 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.
ticojohn

Re: Wierd behavior with Pulseaudio and Firefox

Postby ticojohn » 2017-07-14 15:39

Well, after further review, I suspect this is all due to operator ignorance. It appears that Firefox, and probably Chromium as well, open a new audio stream with each new tab that has an audio source. The active tab would be the only one sending data to Pulseaudio. Seems strange to me but then I am but an egg! I would have thought that Firefox would be the source and the audio contents would be streamed based on the active tab, but apparently a new stream is started for each tab regardless of activity. So, I will consider this solved. :oops:
ticojohn

Re: [SOLVED] Wierd behavior with Pulseaudio and Firefox

Postby oswaldkelso » 2017-07-14 21:24

I don't run Jessie or Firefox but maybe something to do with this? viewtopic.php?f=20&t=130028&
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Re: [SOLVED] Wierd behavior with Pulseaudio and Firefox

Postby ticojohn » 2017-07-14 22:48

oswaldkelso wrote:I don't run Jessie or Firefox but maybe something to do with this? viewtopic.php?f=20&t=130028&

Thanks for the feedback. I read that post and don't see anything relevant to my OP, other than a general dislike for Pulse Audio. I think things are working as designed, I just don't particularly like the design. Won't make me give up Debian however. :D
ticojohn

Return to Desktop & Multimedia