Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Wierd behavior with Pulseaudio and Firefox

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ticojohn

[SOLVED] Wierd behavior with Pulseaudio and Firefox

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I'm running Jessie i386 (up to date), XFCE, gdm3. Just noticed that a pulseaudio audio stream opens as soon as I launch Firefox even though the home page does not have any audio selected to play. Also, as I browse the internet I will get multiple audio streams opened for Firefox. This seems a bit unusual to me. Is anybody else seeing this behavior, or is it just me? If it is just me, does anybody have a suggestion as to what is going on and how I might fix it? If others have the same problem then a bug report may be in order. Thanks for the feedback.

By the way, I do not see similar behavior with the Chromium browser.

UPDATE: It appears that a new Firefox audio stream starts when opening a new tab. Has this always happened? Maybe I just never paid attention before.

UPDATE 2: Well, this is probably just an operator problem. I think it has always happened and I just never noticed. Feel free to comment on my ignorance! LOL! I would delete the post but welcome feedback on this, especially from those that like to give people the dickens. :)
Last edited by ticojohn on 2017-07-14 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

ticojohn

Re: Wierd behavior with Pulseaudio and Firefox

#2 Post by ticojohn »

Well, after further review, I suspect this is all due to operator ignorance. It appears that Firefox, and probably Chromium as well, open a new audio stream with each new tab that has an audio source. The active tab would be the only one sending data to Pulseaudio. Seems strange to me but then I am but an egg! I would have thought that Firefox would be the source and the audio contents would be streamed based on the active tab, but apparently a new stream is started for each tab regardless of activity. So, I will consider this solved. :oops:

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: [SOLVED] Wierd behavior with Pulseaudio and Firefox

#3 Post by oswaldkelso »

I don't run Jessie or Firefox but maybe something to do with this? http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=130028&
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

ticojohn

Re: [SOLVED] Wierd behavior with Pulseaudio and Firefox

#4 Post by ticojohn »

oswaldkelso wrote:I don't run Jessie or Firefox but maybe something to do with this? http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=130028&
Thanks for the feedback. I read that post and don't see anything relevant to my OP, other than a general dislike for Pulse Audio. I think things are working as designed, I just don't particularly like the design. Won't make me give up Debian however. :D