How to Show Password Field by Default on Login

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

How to Show Password Field by Default on Login

Postby broadsworde » 2017-07-19 11:14

I just switched from Ubuntu 16.04 to Debian 9 with Gnome 3, and I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to automatically show the password field so I can just go ahead and start typing my password rather than having to click on my name or press enter. I only have 1 user on my laptop, so I don't understand why I have to select that single user to be able to enter the password. Also, even with a use case of multiple users, it would seem more usable if either the last user or a specified high priority user was automatically assumed as the next login candidate after a reboot or a logout.

In the previous version of Debian (which I tried in a VM ahead of time), the password field was exposed by default on startup, assuming you tweaked thusly:
Code: Select all
sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

comment out:
Code: Select all
greeter-hide-users = False

So loosing this usability efficiency functionality seems like a step backwards to me.

Thanks in anticipation.
broadsworde

Re: How to Show Password Field by Default on Login

Postby Bulkley » 2017-07-19 14:08

If you are a single user and have a single boot then there is no need for a display manager. I haven't used one for years. When I boot the system comes naturally to a CLI prompt for my user name; I enter that and it asks for my password. After entering that it goes to a linux command prompt. I enter startx and Xwindows opens up with my Openbox wm.
Bulkley

Re: How to Show Password Field by Default on Login

Postby milomak » 2017-07-19 20:43

if you want your user to auto login, you can follow this thread
iMac - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box - Debian Sid
milomak

Return to Desktop & Multimedia