Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cinnamon crashes after update

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
shvman

Cinnamon crashes after update

#1 Post by shvman »

My desktop machine runs Debian Jessie and uses a Nvidia GTX710 graphics card. After the most recent update, the cinnamon desktop crashes immediately after entering the user ID and PW. I get a message to start cinnamon again, yes or no. Clicking 'yes' shows the desktop briefly after which it crashes again. If I attempt to run cinnamon from a terminal, I get 'Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0". Segmentation fault'.

As I recall, I installed the Nvidia driver from a script that I found on the Nvidia website. It worked well until now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

pendrachken

Re: Cinnamon crashes after update

#2 Post by pendrachken »

Either install NVidia drivers from the Debian repositories or learn to recompile the drivers kernel modules after every kernel update.

NVidia drover installation is covered in the debian wiki.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

shvman

Re: Cinnamon crashes after update

#3 Post by shvman »

OK, thanks. Yes, I think I'll go the package manager route. I think I found a suitable driver in the backports.

Thanks again.