Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Freeze after login

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
phoenix

Freeze after login

#1 Post by phoenix »

Hi to everyone, I'm new on this forum. Before beggining, sorry for my English, is not my native language.

I have problems with my laptop. I have Debian with Gnome. When I turn on my laptop, it start without any trouble. But when I block the laptop with Start+L and return to the login screen, after entering my password, it freezes. Not always, sometimes enter to the Desktop, but other times still freeze, and it enter to the Desktop in 5-10 minutes (or more). The weird detail about this, is while it is freezed, mouse works. And it recognizes the field interaction. I mean, appear the normal icon of the mouse, but if behind the mouse is any "text field", like on a website, the mouse icon change. All this with the login screen freezed.

I don't know what it happens. I tried to research, and looking on forums, but nothing.
I attach you some information about my system:

$uname -a
Linux 4.9.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2+deb9u2 (2017-06-26) x86_64 GNU/Linux

$apt-cache show gnome-shell | grep Version
Version: 3.22.3-3

$echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
x11

If you need any information, please ask.

Thank you for the help :)

Zjho

Re: Freeze after login

#2 Post by Zjho »

May help to switch login options. Before providing password at login, click gear icon and change to another of three options offered :
System X11 Default or Gnome or Gnome Classic.

debiman

Re: Freeze after login

#3 Post by debiman »

what sort of machine is this please? age, CPU speed, type, number of cores? RAM amount?