Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Cannot change network metric on Gnome

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ConsJMEA

[SOLVED] Cannot change network metric on Gnome

#1 Post by ConsJMEA »

Hello. I've just installed Debian 9.1 on a Acer Aspire E15. I'm using Gnome 3 as Desktop environment. I use two networks, Ethernet and Wifi. I've tried to change network metrics with Gnome because I use wifi for Internet connection. But when I write the metric on Gnome network screen the "Apply" button turns dimmed. I don't understand the reason. I know that this problem may be solved via terminal commands but I want to manage better the Gnome interfase. I would appreciate some help.
Last edited by ConsJMEA on 2017-08-19 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

dasein

Re: Cannot change network metric on Gnome

#2 Post by dasein »

From your description, it sounds like the relevant GUI tool is broken, and yet you categorically refuse even to consider any CLI solution out-of-hand. How very interesting.

And it's really too bad, too, because there are a couple of no-muss, no-fuss CLI solutions to this problem that would have you up and running in a matter of seconds. But there's no point in wasting breath arguing with this level of blind, unreasoned fear of the command line.

ConsJMEA

Re: Cannot change network metric on Gnome

#3 Post by ConsJMEA »

I've found an interesting tutorial on:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation ... rface.html

I've realized that the metrics field I had tried to use is for configuring static routes which is not my case. There is a more easy way to prefer Wifi for Internet and use Ethernet only for local connections: on Ethernet IPv4 network settings I've checked the box "Use this connection only for resources on its network". :wink: