Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Newer version of Kodi

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ticojohn

[SOLVED] Newer version of Kodi

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I am currently running Stretch (amd64) on my Intel NUC. Use it mainly as a home theater system using Kodi. The current version of Kodi, in the Stretch repository, is v17.1. The issue I, and others, face with v17.1 is the possibility of malware when streaming subtitles. The newer version of Kodi (v17.3) supposedly fixes the possibility of malware while streaming subtitles. I see that v17.3 is available in buster but am hesitant to try to install Kodi from there.

So, my question is this: Can I safely install Kodi v17.3, from the buster repository? If the answer is YES then I'll figure out how to do it. If NO then I'll just have to tell my non-english speaking friends that they can't have their subtitles.

UPDATE: I suspect that there shouldn't be a problem installing from buster as long as I do it correctly.
Last edited by ticojohn on 2017-08-18 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Bulkley

Re: Newer version of Kodi

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Do a complete backup before doing that. Remember that it is one thing to bring down one package but check before hand to see what it needs to bring with it. Be sure not to leave a Buster repository open afterwards as it will eventually bork your system.

Check stable backport to see if what you want is available there.

ticojohn

#3 Post by ticojohn »

Bulkley wrote:Do a complete backup before doing that. Remember that it is one thing to bring down one package but check before hand to see what it needs to bring with it. Be sure not to leave a Buster repository open afterwards as it will eventually bork your system.

Check stable backport to see if what you want is available there.
Thanks for the response. Looking at packages.debian.org I do not find Kodi v17.3 in any releases other than buster and sid.

In the final analysis, and after reading a number of things including one from Steve Pusser, it might be best to just tell my friends NO SUBTITLES, learn english. LOL! I certainly don't want to bork my system by adding things to the sources list that might end up biting me in the butt.

I suppose I could try just downloading the deb file from the buster repository and try to install it. If there are unmet dependencies then the installation would fail and hopefully no harm would be done.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Or there's the Kodi-17.3 that's in my multimedia backports repo: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... ssert/kodi

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127574

And be warned that I have many packages in there, so just adding the repo and doing a blanket "apt upgrade" would no doubt upgrade a lot more than Kodi. A cautious user would just carefully upgrade single programs--though I'm certain that upgrading everything would not damage your system.

Though I am considering upgrading ffmpeg in it to 3.3.3 for both Jessie and Stretch today, once I tinker with the build system to automatically recognize when it's building on a Jessie base and use gcc 4.8 for the i386 build only there, otherwise use the native gcc. The build fails on Jessie i386 with the default gcc-4.9, due to security hardening options (PIE) Debian adds to the build instructions.

A new ffmpeg automatically triggers a rebuild of everything in the repo that's built against its libraries, which includes ffmpeg. So grab Kodi 17.3 quickly before I mess with ffmpeg, or just try it again if you get errors later today.
MX Linux packager and developer

ticojohn

#5 Post by ticojohn »

stevepusser wrote:Or there's the Kodi-17.3 that's in my multimedia backports repo: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... ssert/kodi

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=127574

And be warned that I have many packages in there, so just adding the repo and doing a blanket "apt upgrade" would no doubt upgrade a lot more than Kodi. A cautious user would just carefully upgrade single programs--though I'm certain that upgrading everything would not damage your system..
Thanks Steve. Even though I have been a Debian user for quite some time I am still not all that confident with some of the finer points. I think I'll just hold off on Kodi v17.3 and wait until I am ready to upgrade from Stretch to Buster. My friends can just deal with not having subtitles!

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

For the benefit of others stumbling on this thread someday...

Unless someone is prepared to provide a CVE, I'm not prepared to believe that the problem is in Kodi itself. Everything I've seen says that It's the media players, not the platform itself, that are vulnerable.
Last edited by dasein on 2017-08-17 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

ticojohn

#7 Post by ticojohn »

dasein wrote:For the benefit of others stumbling on this thread someday...

Unless someone is prepared to provide a CVE, I'm not prepared to believe that the problem is in Kodi itself. It's the media players, not the platform itself, that are vulnerable.
Thanks for your feedback. Not saying Kodi is the problem, per se. Here is a link to the Kodi forum that gives some additional info.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=314878
As I understand it, the recent version of Kodi has implemented fixes for the problem. Perhaps newer versions of media players could also obviate the problem.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

It's the same Kodi that I backported for the MX repos, with many users happily using it.. If you don't like it, you can disable my repo and downgrade back to 17.1. Or put in a request in the debian backports mailing list for the 17.3 version--that seems better than waiting two years or more for Buster.

ticojohn

#9 Post by ticojohn »

stevepusser wrote:It's the same Kodi that I backported for the MX repos, with many users happily using it.. If you don't like it, you can disable my repo and downgrade back to 17.1. Or put in a request in the debian backports mailing list for the 17.3 version--that seems better than waiting two years or more for Buster.
Thanks Steve. I like the idea of the backports request. I don't know the contact info for the mailing list but I'm sure I can find it with a little effort. And I may check out your repos. Thanks again.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

No problem--I think I have the stuff added to my ffmpeg-3.3.3 to automatically detect if it's being built on a Jessie or Stretch base, and then apply some different build-depends and build configurations, depending on the answer. I've loaded it into the OBS and am waiting to see how much smoke comes out. :D

ticojohn

#11 Post by ticojohn »

stevepusser wrote:No problem--I think I have the stuff added to my ffmpeg-3.3.3 to automatically detect if it's being built on a Jessie or Stretch base, and then apply some different build-depends and build configurations, depending on the answer. I've loaded it into the OBS and am waiting to see how much smoke comes out. :D
As long as it doesn't halt, catch fire, and burn. LOL! I sent a request to debian-backports-request@lists.debian.org to have Kodi v17.3 added to the stretch-backports. I also specified that I am using stretch amd64, although if they do the job they will probably do both amd64 and i386. I have no idea how long it takes for them to review and approve, or deny, the request. I did read that the package would have to be in either testing or sid (it's in both) for them to consider the task. As I am not in a big hurry I can wait. Hopefully they approve the request.

UPDATE: Have not heard back from lists.debian.org regarding my request. Might take a while or maybe they will just ignore the request. In any case, I will just wait and not try something stupid (like installing from Buster). I suppose I could upgrade the system to Buster but not sure I am ready to do that. I did run Stretch for almost a year before it became stable so if I get desperate to have subtitles I may upgrade to Buster. In the meantime I will wait and hope that the team puts Kodi v17.3 in the stretch-backports. Will mark this thread as SOLVED.

bester69

Re: [SOLVED] Newer version of Kodi

#12 Post by bester69 »

I tested 17.3 from buster, and it upgraded all libvcodecs, and the testing version from libavcodec worked worse to me, so i went back again to Kodi 17.1. Im gonna test the Steves's backporteds, but i suppose the beahavior will be the same than the testing packages. Indeed, i really ignore if there is any difference between testing and backporteds packages as for behavior a part from some stability.

doing btrfs snapshoot and testing 8)
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#13 Post by bester69 »

bester69 wrote:I tested 17.3 from buster, and it upgraded all libvcodecs, and the testing version from libavcodec worked worse to me, so i went back again to Kodi 17.1. Im gonna test the Steves's backporteds, but i suppose the beahavior will be the same than the testing packages. Indeed, i really ignore if there is any difference between testing and backporteds packages as for behavior a part from some stability.

doing btrfs snapshoot and testing 8)
Can't upgrade to Kodi 17.3,It needs new libavcodecs dependecies, and newer codecs downgrade video performance in my laptop.

retainning following packages: :?

Code: Select all

ffmpeg libavcodec-dev libavcodec57 libavcodec57:i386 libavdevice57 libavfilter6 libavformat-dev
  libavformat57 libavresample3 libavresample3:i386 libavutil-dev libavutil55 libavutil55:i386 libpostproc54 libswresample-dev
  libswresample2 libswresample2:i386 libswscale-dev libswscale4 
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#14 Post by bester69 »

I got to upgrade to kodi 17.4 and kept at the same time stretch's old libavcodecs by installing ubuntu's packages. Cool! :P

I needed to install some adittional packages as well, but no mayor problems with all of them:

kodi_2%3a17.4+git20170822.1009-final-0zesty_all
kodi-bin_2%3a17.4+git20170822.1009-final-0zesty_amd64
libmicrohttpd10_0.9.44+dfsg-1ubuntu2_amd64
libmysqlclient20_5.7.17-0ubuntu0.16.10.1_amd64
libshairplay0_0.9.0.1-2~zesty_amd64

ticojohn

#15 Post by ticojohn »

bester69 wrote:I got to upgrade to kodi 17.4 and kept at the same time stretch's old libavcodecs by installing ubuntu's packages. Cool! :P
Yikes! I am really not in to installing code from other distros. But sounds like you have a plan that works for you.

bester69

#16 Post by bester69 »

ticojohn wrote:
bester69 wrote:I got to upgrade to kodi 17.4 and kept at the same time stretch's old libavcodecs by installing ubuntu's packages. Cool! :P
Yikes! I am really not in to installing code from other distros. But sounds like you have a plan that works for you.
It doesnt intall new codecs, its just doesnt force you to update a newer libavcodec version,
if you install kodi 17.4 by testing brach, it will force you to update the codecs to testing, installing ubuntu's kodi packages, let you to keep codecs in stable. Byt the way im using kodi 17.4 for some long, and everything its ok.

bester69

#17 Post by bester69 »

Its available kodi 17.6, Ive just updated.
Im using Zesty repost in stretch with success:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ zesty main