Debian Stable / 9 / Stretch is a hot mess on clean install

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Debian Stable / 9 / Stretch is a hot mess on clean install

Postby szupek » 2017-08-25 14:10

I am installing on a Razer Blade 14" 2016 (i7-6700HQ aka SKYLAKE GT2) w/ GTX 970M.

I've spent about 15 hours, keyboard time trying to get a clean install to work. I've completely given up on 3D support w/ NVIDIA-PRIME / Bumblebee because it's instant gnome crash w/ nothing useful in Xorg.0.log. Even if I stick with the bone stock install and install gnome-system-tools, gnome and the whole machine locks up the second you go to SYSTEM SETTINGS. You get the circle of death and then total lock up. Again, nothing useful in XORG or DMESG. Even apt-get purge gnome-system-tools keeps the same problem.

I thought the point of STABLE version was for stability. I can't seem to blacklist nouveau or GT2 and can't use Debian at all. I also use UEFI w/ Windows Boot Manager as option from GRUB so consider Debian Jessie out because it can't understand UEFI partitions (latest available version from Debian Repository) during install and completely shits the bed after the reboot.

Does anyone have any advice? It seems to be Debian just keeps getting less and less stable for every stable release. I am not parting the seas here, I am just trying to use my machine for basic use (apps / email / browsing). It seems like Intel Skylake was designed to make sure Debian and NVIDIA never get along either.

I am not looking to do a mass custom install but I'd like to see Debian Stable be just that...stable.
Last edited by szupek on 2017-08-25 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
szupek

Re: Debian Stable / 9 / Stretch is a hot mess on clean insta

Postby kedaha » 2017-08-25 15:01

Hi,
You should be able to boot it by adding nouveau.modeset=0 to the end the kernel, if search results like this are anything to go by and you'll also need xserver-xorg-video-intel and firmware-misc-nonfree according to this forum topic

I don't know what else you might need to do since I've never had to set up Debian on a system with Intel Skylake, but I'm sure others will advise. From a few searches I did after reading your post, it definitely looks solvable.

If something doesn't work because third-party proprietary drivers are not installed or configured by default, this has nothing to do with stability.
Mate DE & OSSv4.
LaMp, WordPress; ispmail
Debian Stable & Software

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. Joseph Conrad.
kedaha

Postby szupek » 2017-08-25 16:31

I am past the point in trying to use third party drivers. I have already downloaded and installed firmware-misc-nonfree but i'll try xserver-xorg-video-intel (though I think it's installed already). Thanks,
szupek

Postby kedaha » 2017-08-25 16:57

You might need them for your hardware though, unfortunately.
Mate DE & OSSv4.
LaMp, WordPress; ispmail
Debian Stable & Software

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. Joseph Conrad.
kedaha

Return to Desktop & Multimedia